Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Leaping down to bass notes with 3 vs. 5  (Read 1304 times)

Offline daggenhurstfan

• PS Silver Member
Leaping down to bass notes with 3 vs. 5
on: December 09, 2014, 11:54:21 PM
Hey all,

Was wondering what the general consensus was for leaping downwards to bass notes (first example that comes to mind is chopin op.9 no.2) do you usually hit them with 5 or 3? given that you will be jumping back upwards, 5 seems the most logical solution, but sometimes 3 is more definite as more flesh is hitting the note (especially if it's black),

another example i can think of are the low bass notes in Chopin Op. 25 No. 11, a lot of editors recommend 3-2 in places where there are two low bass notes tied together, followed by a jump, however in places where it is simply one bass note followed by a leap up 5 is recommended

Offline chopincat

Re: Leaping down to bass notes with 3 vs. 5
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:40:40 AM
I think it depends on the note, and how big the jump is. For a very fast leap to a black note, for example, I might want to use 3 instead of 5 because there's just a better chance that I'll hit it. I also don't think that there's one answer for everyone, as some people have weaker 5th fingers than others. But, like you said, I think 5 seems like the most logical in the majority of situations.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:46:43 AM
Most of the time I use the third finger because my hand seems better balanced with it. However, if the lower note is reasonably close to whatever it jumps to, say almost within a stretched handspan, I use the fifth. In ragtime and stride I invariably substitute octaves for any single notes in the lower bass; there is something about it which feels easier and it sounds better too.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:02:11 AM
There are exceptions to the above preference in stride, when the lower note is either very deep or requires conspicuous articulation for rhythmic or phrasal reasons, making the sound of an octave too heavy. I always use the third finger in those cases.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:18:31 AM
Unless I make exception it is 5 For white key and 4 for black key
This is if we are talking both single note or octave ie 5-1 and 4-1
There are instances in the music I might make a chance from this but initial finder mapping happens like that for me

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:23:51 AM
What leaps?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:07:10 AM

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 09:36:32 PM
Precisely, it's all about the ranine connection.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert