Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Scale practice in all keys  (Read 1680 times)

Offline mahmudfasihulazam

Scale practice in all keys
on: January 24, 2015, 12:50:15 PM
Say I want to learn to play all major and minor scales in all 12 keys fluently.
I have two practice approaches in mind:
1. Play a different scale everyday. C major on Sunday, D major on Monday and so on.
2. Play major scales in all keys one day and minor scales in all keys the next day.

(Same plan for arpeggios as well.)

Which of these approaches is better? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scale practice in all keys
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:29:12 PM
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Those days I do work on scales or arps I now use a random system: I have cards with names of all major and minor keys and just pull one. After used it's put aside until the whole pack is used, then they are shuffled and can be used again.

Takes too much time to work on more than one a day and I don't want to spend too much time on the ones that are easy to practice instead of those I still haven't properly figured out. And it's less boring this way.

Planning ahead did not work since I don't do scale work daily, only when I have extra time. Any system was busted due to the irregularity.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 03:34:19 PM
Let it grow itself. 

Focus some amount of time on improving scales. 

Then combine them.  Maybe two scales or four... or all the majors one day.

I run through major/minor scales each day and go through the circle of fifths on them so I hit the ones with more sharps or flats.  I haven't really focused on them for a long time though.  That takes maybe ten minutes to go through.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:18:09 PM
I think it depends on where you are in your familiarity and comfort with the scales. You could start by going around the circle of fifths over 24 days. Meaning do C major and A minor on day 1 and again on day 2, then F major and d minor on days 3 and 4, and all the way round until you get back to C major and a minor. I like doing the same scale on 2 successive days, I think it helps firm things up in your mind.

On the other hand, if you are already comfortable with all the scales, then you can go through the whole circle of fifths everyday, and each day pick one major and one minor scale to spend more time on - ie doing scales in sixths and tenths, polyrhythms, contrary motion, and octaves. Then eventually, if your teacher tells you you've done enough years and hours of scales, you can go back to doing just a little bit to warm up when you begin.

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:59:15 PM
If you wish to play scales, I`ll propose another way...
There are only 3 dificulties when playing scales:
-  the eveness
- passing the thumb under or over
- dynamics (FF - pp)

So, instead of repeat the scales, I think it will be better to "exercise" these 3 things separately: first, the eveness - 1.2.3. 3.2.1; 1.2.3.4.5.4.3.2.1. Second, the thumb - 1.2.3.1 .... 1.2.3.4.1..... ; the last but not the least, dynamics: crescendo, diminuendo, legato, non legato, finger stacatto, etc... you may also play in different rythms...

It is also very useful to play these 3 things in C sharp, E moll, F sharp, etc... but with the same fingering: 1.2.3.1.... 1.2.3.4.1...

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 02:33:57 PM
One scale per week. 

Rotate through circle of fifths or fourths. 
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert