Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt's Wake-up Call for Val  (Read 1519 times)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Liszt's Wake-up Call for Val
on: December 31, 2015, 04:08:35 AM
Hey, you guys.... yeah, YOU!
 Remember when the superstar pianist Valentina Lisista was the only one who recorded Liszt's Rondeau Fantastique sur "La Contrabandista"? Well, things are shifting dramatically now.... recently, Drew Peterson made an amazing performance of it in the Semifinals of the prestigious Leeds Competition: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0326vmc

Also, the Liszt Competition in Ultrecht has updated its repetoire requirements: they give the contestants a list of pieces containing, most notably, the Douze Grandes Etudes of 1837 and the Etudes d'execution transcendante on Paganini, as well as the Rondeau! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS???? Well, I guess Liszt is giving Val a rude awakening!  ;D

Offline santiagoguerrero

Re: Liszt's Wake-up Call for Val
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:15:08 AM
The rondo was unknown to most people,also the douze and the Paganini Transcendentals,they're just getting more popular.
I'm glad,by the way,I consider both of the earlier sets better than their known counterpart.
Morunful and yet grand is the destiny of the artist.
-Franz Liszt

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert