Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Expressions, Nightscape  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Expressions, Nightscape
on: July 16, 2005, 09:33:44 AM
Here are three little improvisations that I have grouped together under the name "Expressions".

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Expressions, Nightscape
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 10:15:41 AM
These I find most attractive, Jeremy, and the third is a good foil to the other two. I found myself listening in amost the same way as I do when hearing Chinese zither music. Indeed, the pieces have much in common with Sung landscape painting. Economy of material, organic form, deft brush strokes, as it were, sometimes succeed where complexity and intellect fail. In the first two, there is intense sadness, perhaps a recollection of someone or something gone. Then the third reasserts the life force, making a pleasing trio.

I always happily anticipate your variety of chord, not because of variety alone, anybody can play masses of different chords, but because you seem to pick on one or two poignant changes and make them part of the form - again, like the figures in a Sung landscape. My private term for this is a harmonic cell, and you use them very well indeed.

How deeply do you think about your improvisations before putting hands to keys ? What are you aware of before commencement ? I am often aware of many details which I know will come out - it's just the how and when which playing decides. In these first two, it is almost as if certain lyrics, sentences or perhaps just words, were going through your mind and being translated into piano phrases. I thought at several points that a simultaneous, but not coincident, solo voice would not have been amiss.

The only criticism I have does not concern the music. For some reason, although the bass was coming out well, a certain range of treble sounded rather steely and peculiar. Maybe your microphone was in a funny position ?

Excellent work ! These have gone onto my "keep" CD.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:25:41 PM
Thats a very interesting comparison, Ted.  I didn't know that the Chinese had zithers - thought that was just Greek.

Anyways, as far as your question goes, I try to think of a figuration or a melodic fragment or two before I start improvising.  This way, the improvisation has a sense of unity.  The longer the improv, the more of these I have to use.  For example, in the first improv here (labeled expressions2), I decided to use large arpeggiated chords, and also to have the texture quite sparse.  I also made the decision to make it completely "pan-diatonic" (there are no accidentals - it uses only the white keys of the keyboard.)

For that particular improv, I had no melodic idea in mind to start with, but I did for the second and third improvs listed here.  Another decision I wanted to make in the third was to have it contrast with the first two and also to have elements of bitonality in it.

I always try to be flexible though - a melodic idea that I had preconceived often changes over the course of an improvisation.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:59:49 AM
Hey here's something absolutely amazing : I was listening to Chopin's Etude Op.10 N.6 while downloading Expressions 1, then I listened to the latter and, the effect was just great, same rhytmic pattern, same ambiance.

Maybe you are a Chopin's reincarnation.

Great stuff !!
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert