Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude #4 Op. 10  (Read 3780 times)

Offline dickreuter

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude #4 Op. 10
on: May 19, 2006, 08:43:24 PM
Spent some more time on it. I don't think I can do much better than that for the moment. But I'd still welcome some conceptual advice.

Next step is recording it on a real piano.

many thanks
Nicolas

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude #4 Op. 10
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 11:33:59 PM
hey, i worked this too.  i'm jealous.  i had to stop occasionally and breathe.  then, i'd lose my spot.  this is definately one of those 'bee' pieces, too.  you've got it.  you make me jealous and i rarely get jealous.  i mean, you're not pollini yet - but wow - you can get things rolling.  my advice on both the beethoven and the chopin - is don't play the last chords /chord any louder than the previous notes.  otherwise it will sound 'crash.'  you want a refined sound to chopin even more than beethoven.  i like your strength - but you don't need so m uch of it.  you can play with less effort (for a much longer time) easily.  you've already got the technique.  then, you can undulate here and there - as with section changes/ little rubatos occasionally at high/low points. 

Offline kimba1055

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 07:17:24 PM
hey, i worked this too.  i'm jealous.  i had to stop occasionally and breathe.  then, i'd lose my spot.  this is definately one of those 'bee' pieces, too.  you've got it.  you make me jealous and i rarely get jealous.  i mean, you're not pollini yet - but wow - you can get things rolling.  my advice on both the beethoven and the chopin - is don't play the last chords /chord any louder than the previous notes.  otherwise it will sound 'crash.'  you want a refined sound to chopin even more than beethoven.  i like your strength - but you don't need so m uch of it.  you can play with less effort (for a much longer time) easily.  you've already got the technique.  then, you can undulate here and there - as with section changes/ little rubatos occasionally at high/low points. 

waoo how long you b playing i play for abouth 3 years know but i'm not even closed to that waoo very goog work man

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 08:37:20 PM
Great work. One of the best chopin 10/4 I´ve heard round here. thanks!

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:46:39 AM
For such an awesome recording you deserve more than 3 comments, so I'll make the fourth!  Sounds really clean.  I definately agree the next step is to get it on a real piano.  I hate digitals, they really take away.  I think the last two notes are fine, just my opinion.  I really like the dynamic contrast.  I wish my hands could move that fast.  Again, GREAT JOB!

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:08:43 AM
A real success!! The kind of performance that would bring the house down in a recital! I wasn't so impressed by the Beethoven, but here you fare really well! Around 1:25 you speed up a little for a bar or so, which to me sounds like your only musical mistake; the speeding up should be saved to the coda, which indeed you do as well, and what a coda you play!
I like your clean articulation, and the weight you play with adds to the dramatic effect, imo. Musically, you sound "on the spot" throughout.
Well done!

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 08:34:15 AM
I like your recording. It is fast, but still very clear. you have a very good left hand technique. Was it recorded on a digital piano? Play this in a recital and you will have a lot of succes.
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 06:34:05 PM
Watch the added measure right before the final return of the primary theme (glissando on dominant in left hand).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert