Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Need advice - Which one would you pick?  (Read 6048 times)

Offline chrdso

• PS Silver Member
Need advice - Which one would you pick?
on: June 11, 2006, 12:37:02 PM
Hi:

I have to make a decision on the following used pianos soon:

1) Yamaha C2 (2003) ($2,500 more than RX-2) - ebony polish
3 years old.  Tuned just once in last 3 years.  Owner has never tuned after that.
Tech that check it, said the piano is flat.  Needs pitch raised and tunings.  But is in showroom condition.

2) Kawai RX-2 (2003) - 7 years Kawai warranty -- ebony polish
Owner said its it perfect condition.  Kid does not use it any more.

3) Kawai RX-3 (2005) - ($700 more tha C2).  9 years of Kawai warranty - satin finish
Owner choose from several.  Owner has no time to play it.  The dealer who sold it said that it was one of the better ones on the floor.

I am buying for my kid who has played for past 5 years-won several competitions.  Mostly plays classical.

My child prefers tha yamaha touch.  But, Kawai sound more suited for classical?

How do they compare for resale, play till college......., sound...............

Thanks

Offline mr_james

• PS Silver Member
Re: Need advice - Which one would you pick?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 07:51:09 PM
Good gracious, man--if the kid likes the Yamaha, and you've got the bucks, buy him the Yamaha! All the other criteria you mentioned take 2nd place to your child's enjoyment of the instrument.

James A. Weinberg, MME
Adjunct Faculty in Music
Belmont University, Nashville

https://www.OrganistOnTheRoof.com
James Arthur Weinberg, MME
Piano, Organ and Voice Instructor
JAMES MUSIC STUDIO
Serving Williamson County, Franklin TN

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:46:19 AM
i have a kawaii upright - so not knowing how the grands fare - i googled 'kawaii rx-3'. the first post was piano world or something like that - and the second post was from a guy who owns one.  he says it plays stiffer than other pianos (like my studio upright) but is easier to control touch-wise.  also, like mine- it stays in tune well.  and, it has the longest warranty.

but, maybe your son will want to try out each of these pianos (and bring lots of variety of music) and hear each of the registers of each of the pianos.  someone told me to look for a melding of the registers.  with some pianos (no matter the brand - if i understand correctly) you have one sound in the bass and another in the treble.  this is irritating when u want continuity in a piece. 

yamaha and kawaii are probably comparable - and it's maybe a preferential thing.  for me, i like stiffer playing pianos (but, the piano does loosen up gradually a bit).  some don't.  maybe bring along the teacher?  unless, of course, he's already decided in his mind that the yamaha is the one.  then - i'd totally agree with the above post because u want him to like the piano u buy.

Offline chrdso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 03:48:28 AM
Thanks for your help.
I decided on the C2.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert