Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Pieces I play.  (Read 2968 times)

Offline oceansoul

• PS Silver Member
Pieces I play.
on: January 03, 2008, 03:06:01 PM
Greetings.

These are some pieces I've been playing since I have a teacher.

Johann Sebastian Bach - Minuet in G minor (Petzold)
Robert Schumann - Erster Verlust (First Loss/Disappointment)
Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonatina in G major (1st movement)
Johann Sebastian Bach - Invention No. 1

Minuet in G minor has a little mistake, that for me doesn't really matter. I really like that piece, because it's in a minor scale.
Erster Verlust, I used to play it rather well, but now it's with lots of mistakes. The last part is quite difficult to play fast if you stop training it.
The first part of the Sonatina is not very good, but in my opinion it eventually gets better.
About the Invention No. 1, I took very long to learn it. It was planned for 3 weeks, I did it in 6 weeks, although I really have good excuses for that. It was nice to play it. I have to admit this is not my kind of music. It's very mechanical, and I'm more into really emotional, really dark pieces. But I think it's not badly played.

Now I think I'll be learning "Raindrop" and "Suffocation" Preludes (Chopin).

If you can tell me how to make better recordings... I'm using Audacity. AUX OUT (piano), Line In (computer), and record. What can I do to make it better?

I'm looking forward to any tips, opinions and criticism. :)

Goodbye for now,
    OceanSoul.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pieces I play.
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:09:56 AM
You play well for having had such a short period of formal study. I think your Bach playing is very intuitive although you say you are "emo"  ;D  I think these are your strongest pieces, particularly the Minuet in g minor. Your playing has command and musicality, if you stick with it I think you'll be playing very well in a few years as you acquire more technical ability. You've worked hard and it shows!

Your rhthym is unstable, you need to practice with a metronome; phrase in time, not as you feel. In the Beethoven and Schumann your phrasing needs to be more vocal and less "notey". Listen to singers to learn how a classical or romantic melodic line should be shaped.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!  :)

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert