Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Time 0--Improv  (Read 3371 times)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Time 0--Improv
on: November 16, 2008, 10:55:54 PM
This is dedicated to all members of the "improv community" here.
Perhaps the title is not so important, I could call it also "The giant and the dwarfs", for instance. Enjoy :)

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Re: Time 0--Improv
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:27:29 PM
Hi Wolfi,

I am listening to your improv right now.  Wow, this is very harmonically fascinating to me and texturally interesting for me as well.  There is in this your mature musical character that I appreciate so much, balanced with a kind of childlike curiousity about life, as well.  I just love this change at 30 seconds in and a little beyond, taking us a little deeper into the other world where you seem to be speaking from.

I am curious what would be your thoughts regarding the possible title of the "Giant and the Dwarfs" ... you don't have to divulge of course, I am just curious :).

Thanks for posting this :).

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 01:26:47 AM
Hi Karli

thank you for your comments, interesting observations and listening :) The first idea to this improv was coming from the point where another piece which I played 3 years ago in 2005 has left me. The name of that other piece was "via dolorosa"  This piece here came from my idea of a person who has witnessed a "via dolorosa" or something similar meaningful and is now doing his/her first steps after this experience, starting from a new point in time, an "hour 0" It's part of a bigger conception and perhaps one day there will be an edited version of it in my programs.
Anyway, after listening again to it a few times I thought that as well it could be an imagination of a giant walking and all the rather polyrhythmic or more lively figurations around the steps could imagine a couple of dwarfs who are trying to cheat him a bit, and the giant is trying to keep going steadily, but sometimes a bit distracted by the dwarfs. Somehow the more serious idea I had first suddenly changed into something rather witty and, honestly, I was a bit drawn back and forth between the two aspects.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:45 AM
"It Drips."

I wish, oh I wish, that I had the equipment that produces such nice recordings as yours, Quantum's, Karli's, Rachfan's, and others. I might actually have the equipment, but am so technologically ignorant. Now I'm thinking out loud and doing it on your thread...

It sounds good, is all.

I don't know exactly what this means, but listening to myself, I think I can make 12 minutes sound like 2 hours, and here you make 6.5 minutes go buy in 30 seconds. And there is a healthy complexity that is simply and nicely contained.

I like both your posts and your music.

Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:18:43 PM
"It Drips."

I wish, oh I wish, that I had the equipment that produces such nice recordings as yours, Quantum's, Karli's, Rachfan's, and others. I might actually have the equipment, but am so technologically ignorant. Now I'm thinking out loud and doing it on your thread...

It sounds good, is all.

I don't know exactly what this means, but listening to myself, I think I can make 12 minutes sound like 2 hours, and here you make 6.5 minutes go buy in 30 seconds. And there is a healthy complexity that is simply and nicely contained.

I like both your posts and your music.

thank you furtwaengler! "It Drips" could be even a different title for it :) I love stalactite caves so much ...well just another inspirative idea... :)

Actually I used only a minidisc to record this, some other recordings I did with a Yamaha workstation but I couldn't find out the right settings for that one yet. I like the term "Healthy complexity" :)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 08:13:40 AM
Hi Wolfi,

This is a difficult one to characterize in its thematic direction.  There is a point at the beginning which sounds like the soul seeing a sunrise in a new world for the very first time.  But soon after, confusion and upheaval.  There are some very beautiful moments that sparkle amidst the chaos in this complex improvisatorial utterance.  I like its mystifying atmosphere.

I've enjoyed it a lot.  Thanks for sharing. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:28:16 PM
Thanks Goldy, for listening and commenting :) I'm sorta living at this mystified place at the time, maybe there will come more utterances from there... I'm always working on getting things more clear.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert