Piano Forum

Topic: Improv - Disjunct Nocturne  (Read 3166 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Improv - Disjunct Nocturne
on: July 20, 2006, 09:05:55 AM
Like a nocturne / song, with some wierd melodic contours. 

Mics: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C3

Enjoy!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improv - Disjunct Nocturne
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 07:03:37 PM
Whoa...those melodies freakin rule...this piece is so atmospheric. I love it...great work. I love dark stuff like this...

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 07:38:01 AM
Thanks. 

As I was talking about in the Happy Birthday thread, my LH accompaniment in this piece was largely based on contrapuntal movements. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 10:17:33 PM
A really very good composition. Very wide spread use of different stylistic elements. I have a few questions about the recording equipment: Do you need the computer or does the interface work without? And if you use the computer, how do you avoid disturbing fan or harddrive noise on the recording? Because your recording quality is very good. I'm looking for similar devices.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 05:17:26 AM
A really very good composition. Very wide spread use of different stylistic elements. I have a few questions about the recording equipment: Do you need the computer or does the interface work without? And if you use the computer, how do you avoid disturbing fan or harddrive noise on the recording? Because your recording quality is very good. I'm looking for similar devices.

Thanks pianowolfi.

The interface is USB and requires the computer to run.  I use a laptop which has the advatages of being protable and haveing less noise than a desktop. 

I place the laptop on a chair beside the piano while the mics are directed towards the strings.  Having directional mics as opposed to omnis does help as you can direct it toward your sound source and have less amount of pickup behind the active area of the mic. 

Actually if the room is really quiet the mics can picup the sound of computer fans and the central air, but since I have them relatively close to the piano the piano's sound has much more presence in the recording. 

You can use heavy blankets, paper egg cartons, or those foam inserts that are used to package stuff as sound absorbant matieral and place them  around your computer to pick up noise.  I like those high qualtiy foam paddings used for computers or audio equipment (you know the ones that can squish like a sponge and bounce back). 

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 07:31:20 AM
Thanks, that's helpful. Keep composing!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert