Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Does anybody know Paule Maurice ?  (Read 18642 times)

Offline Mr_Freeze

• PS Silver Member
Does anybody know Paule Maurice ?
on: August 14, 2002, 04:06:06 AM
Hello everyone ...

I would like to share what happened to me a couple of years ago about a contemporary composer named Paule Maurice.

Only a few people might know her -most of them maybe sax players- tough some of her works have been recorded quite often and especially one : "Tableaux de Provence" witch is a piece for alto saxophone and orchestra. A reduction for piano and sax alto also exist and this is the version of the piece that is mostly played around the world. Check out on Google.com for this piece, you can not miss it, it is everywhere on the web !

Here is the story. One day, I was walking in Paris at the flea market at the "Porte de Cignancourt" and was taking time to look trough old music scores on bookshelves to complete my collection. To my surprise, as I was looking trough piles of old litterature books and random stuff, I saw a piece of music manuscript flying in the air. It caught me by surprise, as it not so easy to find that kind of material these days except in auctions, and while turning around, I saw a bunch of bounded manuscripts and a couple of pedagogy books from the same author : Paule Maurice ...

I went trough the music scores and discovered a symphony, a piano concerto, a violin concerto, light music pieces composed for the french national radio at her time (ORTF) and lots of miscellanious manuscripts of her. I bought two or more manuscripts, I don't exactly remember, and took them home with me to study them the same night. At my house, I checked in a couple of music directories and dictionnaries but did not find her anywhere ... Doubting if this music was of real interest, I went back the next day and bought all the scores from her witch included scketches, manuscripts, printed music, lesson books, students compositions, personal letters and ... a couple of music autographs from famous french composers. There is more to come. I even found in her papers all her scketches for the Concours de Rome plus newspapers reviews from that time. And now the icing of top of the cake ... I even found in her archives the sketch of the cantata and the complete 4 voices fuga that Henry Dutilleux wrote for the Concours de Rome in 1938 plus autographs from Henri Busser (who's worked with Debussy), Henri Chalan (a very famous french teacher in composition and conterpoint) ...

After finding all this memorabilia, I started to search for Paule Maurice's life and discovered that she actually taught sight-reading and composition at the Consevatoire National de Paris for many years with her husband Pierre Lantier (you know the Pierre Lantier contect for string players in France ? Don't search further, it is him) and wrote an harmomy treatise. I haven't really strated to work on her output (some of her scores can be bought trough Edition Lemoines in Paris) but I will do so when I'll have more time. Her output is quite large, around 100 pieces for symphonic orchestra, chamber music, radio, concertos, ballets, light music, melodies ...

While researching for her, I have collected lots of information, her dates (1910-1957), who she was, her resume ...

If anybody has any information about this french composer, please feel free to take contatc with me.

Mr Freeze.

Offline insearchofpaulemaurice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Does anybody know Paule Maurice ?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:52:02 PM
Hi,

If this post is true, I would love to speak with you. My name is Anthony Moore and my number is 305-905-6578. My email address is saxophonegypsy@yahoo.com. I could not believe what I read so please, forgive my excitement. I have created a website dedicated to her:

www.studentsofpaulemaurice.com

Best Regards, Tony Moore

Offline elfish

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:29:02 PM
The link doesn't seem to work...?..?..

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:03:52 AM
This post is driving my curiosity mad! Anybody that knows Mr. Freeze, please let him know I wish to speak with him about Paule Maurice. 305-905-6578. My name is Tony Moore. Thanks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:16:33 AM
Hi,

I almost forgot to let you know of this website dedicated to Paule Maurice.

www.studentsofpaulemarice.ning.com

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:42:38 AM
Are you out there? Anyone who wants to know more about Paule Maurice can visit www.paulemaurice.com to learn about this composer. Mr. Freeze, where are you?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert