Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Sanctus Penetrare  (Read 3421 times)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Sanctus Penetrare
on: March 23, 2009, 10:04:33 PM
A journey of the soul. . .

Yamaha M302 on the Edirol R-09 HR.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sanctus Penetrare
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:42 PM
Hi goldentone,

I think this improvisation is very creative and does, in fact, suggest a journey, a spiritual one, given the title.  The piece begins in G and ends in D with many changes in between, so I think it's safe to say it's polytonal.  In making some of the changes of tonal center, you introduce some interesting altered chords producing very interesting harmonies and turns of phrase.  The music seems to paint an ethereal world of vision and sound as one moves along the way.  Good job!     
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:27:08 AM
Hi Rachfan,

Looking back, I believe I was really enjoying myself as I played this.  This is the kind of place I want to be in when I improvise, and I know there are better and deeper places yet to play from than where I was here. 

Like its polytonality (thanks for bringing that to light), I believe Sanctus stands aloof, you might say, from the constraints of tempo and time.   

Your responses are always full of insights and fresh perceptions, and it is especially nice to receive them personally.  Thanks for your discerning and uplifting words--I took them
all in. :)

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:45:33 AM
A very peaceful  playing, and I enjoyed listening to it. 
Thank you for sharing your improv.

Best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:16:48 PM
Yes that is what I sensed too, it's so peaceful. Whereas when I saw the title I thought wow that's surely something like Dies Irae, majestic, dark, I imagined already some gothic cathedrals and stuff, lol. And then the first measures rather led me to an almost idyllic world :)

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:50 PM
Does this title translate to what I think it does?!

And if so, did you post it on the Annunciation for that purpose?   ;D 8)

Walter Ramsey

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:08:32 PM
Does this title translate to what I think it does?!

And if so, did you post it on the Annunciation for that purpose?   ;D 8)

Walter Ramsey

No, I didn't mean it in that way.  The soul entering (penetrare) into a world, a greater level of existence, revelation, etc.  I hope you enjoyed it. :)

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:14 PM
No, I didn't mean it in that way.  The soul entering (penetrare) into a world, a greater level of existence, revelation, etc.  I hope you enjoyed it. :)

I think the Latin for soul is anima!

Anyways, I did get a good laugh seeing that on the day of Annunciation.

Walter Ramsey

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:34:53 AM
I think the Latin for soul is anima!

Anyways, I did get a good laugh seeing that on the day of Annunciation.

Walter Ramsey

Well, yes, sanctus isn't soul, but sacred.  I had to look up the day of Annunciation to see what you were talking about.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 06:46:51 AM
Yes that is what I sensed too, it's so peaceful. Whereas when I saw the title I thought wow that's surely something like Dies Irae, majestic, dark, I imagined already some gothic cathedrals and stuff, lol. And then the first measures rather led me to an almost idyllic world :)

Well, peace and mystery aren't exclusive to each other, and the title derives, at least in part, from the mystery.  I agree that the first part is idyllic, which I didn't hear until you told me the first time you heard it.  Dies Irae it's not, for sure. ;D  There are three parts to it:  The first is from the beginning to 2:10, then the bridge/transformation 2:10-3:28, then 3:28 to the end.  Beginning at 3:28 there is a darkness there, like the darkness of mystery, a point of no return.

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:19:11 PM
Well, yes, sanctus isn't soul, but sacred.  I had to look up the day of Annunciation to see what you were talking about.

I thought your title meant "Sacred Penetration," which would be appropriate for that holiday!

Walter Ramsey

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 06:19:34 AM
A very peaceful  playing, and I enjoyed listening to it. 
Thank you for sharing your improv.

Best wishes,

go12_3

Thank you, go. :)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 10:39:15 PM
This is super cool
 8)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert