Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Präludium  (Read 3905 times)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Präludium
on: September 03, 2010, 06:37:45 PM

I do vaguely remember that I have played this in early 2007 (February 5th says the minidisc recorder)
I do remember that it had some sort of relation to Shostakovich.
I did come back to it many times since then.
I had to make sure if it was really me who played it and not somebody else...

Prelude.

there are some hesitations at some spots.

Listening to it now it feels like I'm sight reading from an invisible score.

Of course it's quite long and in a future edited version there will be cuts. But still, after 3 years I hear a direction in it.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Präludium
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:22:08 PM
When I came to this it had a 1/1 relation of views to listens, which I destroyed by logging in. :(

But that's not something to obsess about.  :)

Shostakovich? I can see some influence in the accompanying figuration...but harmonically it is focused in the sort of way as to be a tribute to your old friend m1469 Fox, whose improvisations I sorely miss. And Rachmaninov where it gets moving...were you dueling Rob on op. 23 no. 7?

To me you were very focused, but then got lost in captivity to your own sound world which you created, and no little magic resulted in finding and taking the bate...or walking (riding) this hidden trail. Such instances are priceless, and to some degree it is why I play and why I listen.

Oh and 2007...I love going back! Thanks for posting, Wolfi. I'm now contemplating what all you have that I've not heard!  ;)

Oh...I had to go back and add something on this m1469-Wolfi thing I mentioned. There is a pointed difference which seems valuable to me. It is that you and she were parallel worlds, as darkness and light. You have had an ability with dark colors, and she even when approaching dark colors seemed to burst out in great light. Maybe its better said as sunrise and sunset to remove all that is involved with the terms, darkness and light, and to convey some sense of gravity. I'd now like to think I could start my day with m1469 and end it with Wolfi...but the idea of Präludium...prelude to dreams, or better yet, prelude to eternity!

Dave
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:50:07 PM
Well now it has 6 views and 3 listens :) And Pianowolfi has 3777 posts and I have exactly 600 posts (but when i post this it will be 601) and Furtwaengler has 743 posts which is funny too cause it's like 3 + 4 = 7  :P
And Wolfi's improvisations are really cool  8) and Furtwaengler's improvisations are really cool  8) and I wish I could do improvisations too (even if they wouldn't be so cool) but I can't  :'(
And sorry for not saying anything smart again  ::) I just wanted to say all this don't know exactly why :)  8)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:57:21 PM
You can do it, Littletune! Just place your hand on the keyboard and follow where the sound takes you!  :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:10:31 PM
When I came to this it had a 1/1 relation of views to listens, which I destroyed by logging in. :(

But that's not something to obsess about.  :)

Shostakovich? I can see some influence in the accompanying figuration...but harmonically it is focused in the sort of way as to be a tribute to your old friend m1469 Fox, whose improvisations I sorely miss. And Rachmaninov where it gets moving...were you dueling Rob on op. 23 no. 7?

To me you were very focused, but then got lost in captivity to your own sound world which you created, and no little magic resulted in finding and taking the bate...or walking (riding) this hidden trail. Such instances are priceless, and to some degree it is why I play and why I listen.

Oh and 2007...I love going back! Thanks for posting, Wolfi. I'm now contemplating what all you have that I've not heard!  ;)

Oh...I had to go back and add something on this m1469-Wolfi thing I mentioned. There is a pointed difference which seems valuable to me. It is that you and she were parallel worlds, as darkness and light. You have had an ability with dark colors, and she even when approaching dark colors seemed to burst out in great light. Maybe its better said as sunrise and sunset to remove all that is involved with the terms, darkness and light, and to convey some sense of gravity. I'd now like to think I could start my day with m1469 and end it with Wolfi...but the idea of Präludium...prelude to dreams, or better yet, prelude to eternity!

Dave

Hmm :) Yes :)

(Well, as far as I remember the Rob Duel with Rach 23,7 was later)

Your insight amazes me :)
She had just to post a thread on "What's the origin of light" and I was able to play "towards the light"...
Or I played Styx, and she played "Stampede" shortly afterwards, which is totally different but we've had a similar experience about it. Both are as dark as can be 8)
But we are not parallel in the sense of being polar. In depth we are in one world, though we are of course different persons.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:53:07 AM

Hmm :) Yes :)

(Well, as far as I remember the Rob Duel with Rach 23,7 was later)

Your insight amazes me :)
She had just to post a thread on "What's the origin of light" and I was able to play "towards the light"...
Or I played Styx, and she played "Stampede" shortly afterwards, which is totally different but we've had a similar experience about it. Both are as dark as can be 8)
But we are not parallel in the sense of being polar. In depth we are in one world, though we are of course different persons.

Oh Wolfi, I really don't know if I have so much "insight." In music I so often relate to experiences and perceive from such experiences, and while it is not all to be discounted, I fear it's not the most solid ground to stand on. I'll tell you one thing I've always liked and held dear is the relationship between you and m1469, and between your music and her music.

I will upload sometime my struggling attempt to musically comment on a part of m1469's world, and show you how different this can be, and the extremes and struggles and what can be in my mind.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:08:33 PM
Oh Wolfi, I really don't know if I have so much "insight." In music I so often relate to experiences and perceive from such experiences, and while it is not all to be discounted, I fear it's not the most solid ground to stand on. I'll tell you one thing I've always liked and held dear is the relationship between you and m1469, and between your music and her music.

I will upload sometime my struggling attempt to musically comment on a part of m1469's world, and show you how different this can be, and the extremes and struggles and what can be in my mind.

Oh yes post plz :)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:19:25 PM
That was awesome. I loved that, thanks pianowolfi. What do you mean a future version would have cuts? What part would you cut?  :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:28:26 PM
That was awesome. I loved that, thanks pianowolfi. What do you mean a future version would have cuts? What part would you cut?  :)

Hi Derek, you here! Missed you quite a bit! :)

:) Thank you very much! :)

regarding the cuts: they will not be fundamentally changing the whole thing, but as so often the devil is in the details :P

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 06:46:47 AM
This is a different one, Wolfi. :)  I like it.  Do you have plans
for it to be a part of one of your programs?
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 06:50:46 AM
This is a different one, Wolfi. :)  I like it.  Do you have plans
for it to be a part of one of your programs?

Thank you Goldy :)
I am not sure yet. Perhaps it will stay as a single piece. Or in a little series of single pieces.

Offline kobrowsky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 05:26:30 PM
This is wonderful! I have been absent from this forum for ages and have just realized how big of a mistake that was. Catching up in 3, 2 1...

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 11:41:16 AM
Hi Kobrowsky, I haven't been here for ages either, thank you for listening! :-)

Offline kobrowsky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 01:14:13 AM

And yet again I return after almost a year. :D Well, let's be more active here, I say to myself. But nobody listens.

Offline kobrowsky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 04:56:16 PM

Almost five years later I'm listening to this beauty  again :)

Offline kalospiano

Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 12:19:17 PM
listening for the the first time after 10 years :D great work indeed

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 10:40:53 AM
Thanks for bringing this up.  Beautiful music.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 07:49:21 PM
Funnily enough I somehow recalled that one just recently. Thank you so much for listening and commenting!  :)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 09:11:08 PM
Nice to hear from you, Wolfgang, I hope you are keeping safe and that your music is flourishing. Tell us what you are working on. Did you get rid of that dystonic issue ? I got rid of mine. It was an intense four year battle but I did it. Best wishes for 2021 and please pop in every now and then.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert