Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Pedalling. Jesu joy of mans desiring.  (Read 9624 times)

Offline jono1

• PS Silver Member
Pedalling. Jesu joy of mans desiring.
on: October 06, 2010, 08:38:48 AM
Can anyone tell me how to pedal this piece?
I have been told to pedal and release only on each of the base notes, which is OK up to a point.  But the legatto in the right hand has to be pretty good to avoid breaks and gaps in the legatto.
I am having real problems in getting the smooth flowing effect without pedalling a lot more!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pedalling. Jesu joy of mans desiring.
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:36:46 PM
You've got to get your ear used to hearing a little blurring of the harmonies here and there.  Pedal to achieve a legaTo and let the rest fall into place naturally.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:03:01 PM
Which version are you speaking about? I've done several including one with full organ, chorus and piano for the "obbligato." It sounds like you're doing the one with a single bass line and eighths in the right hand..
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:26:35 PM
Right.  Which one were YOU talking about.  There are many arrangements out there, but they all basically follow the same setup.

Offline jono1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:46:16 PM
Many thanks for all the replies.  The one I'm learning is the transcription by Lucien Garban which comes up on the first hit in the piano music section. I live in france and my teacher who is french  insists on pedalling only on each of the base notes and releasing immediately after. The right fingering involves a lot of substitution to get around the notes and thats where I'm losing the smooth legatto effect.  She does it beautifully but then she teaches at the conservatoire for a day job!  My french is'nt brilliant, so thats why I'm asking you folks.
Thanks again for reading this.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:36:59 PM
Now all of you can see how nicely this piece fits on the organ. (I used it often as a wedding march when asked for something with less fanfare.) The left hand would go to the feet, the middle voice to the left hand and the high eighth notes can easily be played legato by the right hand. However, when all that is compressed on to two hands piano you also see why it is listed grade 7!

There are also piano reductions of Beethoven Symphonies available here..
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 08:40:17 PM
I'd pedal once per bass note for the opening and similar sections.   The harmonies can blur to a certain degree.  With the Cantus Firmus parts, change pedal with the harmony. 

I play the Hess transcription, but most of the ones I've seen do require a little bit of organ technique to execute the legato lines.  A lot of finger substitutions and crossings.  Identify the most important parts: the CF and the main contrapuntal melody.  These receive more importance when it comes to maintaining legato than the remaining harmonic lines.  If you need to break legato do it with a harmonic part, not a melody part. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert