Piano Forum logo
April 25, 2014, 12:55:36 AM *
Welcome Guest!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest with limited access.
If you join our community, you will be able to access member-only sections and features.
Registration as a Silver Member is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join us for free here and receive a special welcome gift!
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Franz Liszt - 200th Anniversary

Today, October 22 2011, marks the 200th birthday of Franz Liszt, the greatest piano virtuoso of his time, inventor of the modern piano recital and one of the most influential composers of the 19th century. Piano Street here presents a collection of material and links to resources for you to enjoy in order to commemorate the great Franz Liszt. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Beginner Music Theory Book?  (Read 2724 times)
nickadams
PS Silver Member

« on: November 21, 2011, 12:31:15 AM »

What is the best book for a beginner to learn music theory? I have zero experience and zero musical knowledge but I want to eventually learn how to sight read music.

Suggestions?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
pianoplayjl
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:08:20 AM »

If you're an Aussie, I suggest Dulcie Holland's 'master you theory grade 1'. That shouldn't be too hard for you, although it is not 'beginner level.'

A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification.
1piano4joe
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:23 AM »

There is a series of five theory books by Bastien.

Primer
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
Book 4

I highly recommend this series and it coordinates very nicely with their other method books.

Primer has 4 method books and

Levels 1 through 4 have 5  method books.

For Example:

Level 1 Theory
Level 1 Sight Reading
Level 1 Piano
Level 1 Technique
Level 1 Repertoire

While this is not an "Adult Piano Course" do not let that persuade you.  You will move swiftly through the series developing your skills and can always supplement with whatever else you choose.

Bocconcini was not a Composer

The British may be a nation of music lovers, but they are clueless when it comes to classical composers, a survey revealed today. One in three people (33%) have never listened to classical music and 4% of those surveyed wrongly identified Bocconcini – small Italian cheese balls – as a composer. Read more >>

sdepouw
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »

I don't know about books, but I do know that Ricci Adams' web site is a superb resource for learning basic music theory. I've personally used it a ton.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: