Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Best Beginner Music Theory Book?  (Read 9565 times)

Offline nickadams

• PS Silver Member
Best Beginner Music Theory Book?
on: November 21, 2011, 12:31:15 AM
What is the best book for a beginner to learn music theory? I have zero experience and zero musical knowledge but I want to eventually learn how to sight read music.

Suggestions?

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best Beginner Music Theory Book?
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:08:20 AM
If you're an Aussie, I suggest Dulcie Holland's 'master you theory grade 1'. That shouldn't be too hard for you, although it is not 'beginner level.'
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:23 AM
There is a series of five theory books by Bastien.

Primer
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
Book 4

I highly recommend this series and it coordinates very nicely with their other method books.

Primer has 4 method books and

Levels 1 through 4 have 5  method books.

For Example:

Level 1 Theory
Level 1 Sight Reading
Level 1 Piano
Level 1 Technique
Level 1 Repertoire

While this is not an "Adult Piano Course" do not let that persuade you.  You will move swiftly through the series developing your skills and can always supplement with whatever else you choose.

Offline sdepouw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:33:07 PM
I don't know about books, but I do know that Ricci Adams' web site is a superb resource for learning basic music theory. I've personally used it a ton.

Offline jeanrhall

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 06:55:06 AM
If you have zero knowledge and you have a passion for learning music, then you go for Music Theory for Dummies. In this book, you can get all valuable hints and tricks. Also, different tunes, harmonies, and chords are mentioned and also provides teaching practices, illustrations, and categories of latest music.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 01:18:32 AM
If it's just scales+modes (of harmonic minor, ascending melodic minor), Dan Haerle's short book can't be beat.

The others, the only ones I have clear recollection are Walter Piston's Harmony and I still enjoy reading Schoenberg's textbook (all the basics, augmented sixths, lots of good examples from the literature).
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert