Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: question about cuticles?  (Read 8505 times)

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
question about cuticles?
on: January 31, 2013, 04:06:43 PM
Hey yo, whoa! So i know all you pianists cut your fingernails. Do you trim your cuticles? I have a habit of cutting them really deep and sometimes to the point of where the finger tips or corners are raw and sensitive to touch and hurt! I have an audition in less than 2 days. It hurts to touch things right now! What can I do?
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Re: question about cuticles?
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:35:28 PM
Hey yo, whoa! So i know all you pianists cut your fingernails. Do you trim your cuticles?

Yes, with a special nipper for that purpose.

I have a habit of cutting them really deep and sometimes to the point of where the finger tips or corners are raw and sensitive to touch and hurt! I have an audition in less than 2 days. It hurts to touch things right now! What can I do?

Go to your local pharmacy, explain the problem, and let them recommend you the best cuticle oil/cream they have. This should at least releave some of the pain and speeds up the healing process. This oil/cream is usually also available in the nail care aisles of most department stores. Not very cheap though.
P.S.: If you've cut off the seal, then there is the risk of infection. Be more careful next time!

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:30 PM
It doesnt hurt as bad on other pianos, but playing on ivory with raw fingers is completely unbearable! Seriously :(

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:33 PM
It doesnt hurt as bad on other pianos, but playing on ivory with raw fingers is completely unbearable! Seriously :(

You could try band-aids. I remember Alfred Brendel playing the piano with Elastoplast band-aids on his fingertips. He did it supposedly because of weak fingernails that tended to split or break, but I can imagine it may also help in your case.

Paul
Account discontinued.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:49:53 PM
Ill go try that right now! Lol

Thanks!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 05:15:36 PM
Hey yo, whoa! So i know all you pianists cut your fingernails. Do you trim your cuticles?
No, why do you do that? I used to bite my nails really bad as a kid and I can remember how painful it is. It used to help me to soak them in cold water. And then used plasters.
I do have to cut my nails really short, or I cannot play at all. And the more I play the harder they seem to get...
Before I started playing my nails didn't grow much, they were really soft and usually just wore/broke off. Now they are really hard and grow too long to play in just a week or so  >:(

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:36:30 PM
Do you trim your cuticles?
No, why do you do that?

My wife does this for me (I just let her because I don't really care), but then she knows how to do this properly. She claims that uncared-for cuticles are "prone to hangnails and dryness". I hear it's part of the standard procedures in beauty parlors. I suspect, though, that it's generally better NOT to touch them at all.

Paul
Account discontinued.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:39 PM
No, why do you do that?

My wife does this for me (I just let her because I don't really care), but then she knows how to do this properly. She claims that uncared-for cuticles are "prone to hangnails and dryness". I hear it's part of the standard procedures in beauty parlors. I suspect, though, that it's generally better NOT to touch them at all.

OK.... Here comes the shocking revelation:
I have never in my life been to a beauty parlor of any kind...I don't even go to a hairdresser anymore, I really hate those, my friend cuts my hair  ;D

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:08 PM
OK.... Here comes the shocking revelation:
I have never in my life been to a beauty parlor of any kind...I don't even go to a hairdresser anymore, I really hate those, my friend cuts my hair  ;D

Good for you. I keep telling my wife she doesn't need it either, but she doesn't believe me. Poor wallet of mine... ;D

Paul
Account discontinued.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 07:01:59 PM
The bandaid didnt work :( it confused me!

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 09:19:33 PM
Wasn't he the Greek god of fingernail maintenance, just as Spectacles was the Greek god of vision?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 12:15:31 AM
Wasn't he the Greek god of fingernail maintenance, just as Spectacles was the Greek god of vision?

Best,

Alistair

;D

On topic, my own nails grow so fast, and so strong, that my laziness means they are often waaay to long and quite lethal.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12:22 AM
ever have your nail get stuck between the keys? It happens! It hurts! :(

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:29:20 AM
You could try band-aids.

Paul
1 cm 3M  porous paper adhesive is the best option i suppose.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert