Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: waldstein (first mvt)  (Read 3858 times)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
waldstein (first mvt)
on: February 22, 2007, 03:23:44 AM
this is a run through tonight.  it's better than the last one - but probably not my best yet.  i'm posting it just because i like it.  the piece.  it's one of my favorite beethoven sontatas. 

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Re: waldstein (first mvt)
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 10:26:55 AM
  Musical madness yes, but it was more music than madness. The first thing i noticed was the similarity between the last MVT and the 1st MVT, for instance the opining chords had so much pedal that it sounded like the arppegios of the last MVT. Personally i prefer it very soft + quiet and somewhere between staccato and portando (little pedal).

The tempo was really crazy, it changed significantly more than once,though it is perfectly exceptable when the music modulates to E major ( 2nd page only).Geneally speaking the Tempo should remain strickt so that the music maintains it's livly character.

Overall it was very good, and i liked it's reflective quality.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline berrt

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:03:44 AM
Veryvery great, susan!!!! I really love it  ;D

I only get the left channel, is it me or the recording?

B.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:36:51 PM
thank you both for your comments.  hmm.  i have to ask my husband why only the left channel.  thanks for telling me.

and, zheer, you are absolutely correct about the dynamics and tempo.  it's still 'in progress' but the noted things are so noted.

Offline moi69

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:54:06 PM
Here is my realy  modest version. Not realy good, not my best, but never mind.
"Les pianos c'est comme les chèques, ça ne fait plaisir qu'à ceux qui les touchent" E.Satie

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:29:45 AM
Hi pianistimo and moi.  I listened to both your "Waldsteins" --Pianistimo, if it is a work in progress, I would speed it up and work on evenness--You have a really amazing feel for music.  I hear a lot of pedal, and if it isn't your recording, then I agree that this piece needs way less pedal. 

Moi, very nice!  Wonderful dynamics and feeling in your playing!  I got a little lost around 3:30-4:00 and didn't hear the flow too well, and the piece cut off before the end.  (?) 

Both of you, great efforts and keep playing!
Teresa
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert