Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beginner recording - Oshiete, Mr. Sky  (Read 4661 times)

Offline cryptkeeper

• PS Silver Member
Beginner recording - Oshiete, Mr. Sky
on: June 24, 2005, 09:43:31 AM
First of all I must say that I'm a beginner. I'm not a pro or semi pro like you guys. This piece is also not from a famous classical composer.

This is my first recording of the song. There are some pretty big mistakes in it and the dynamics are wrong (this is my biggest problem when playing the piano).

For those who are interested, it's from "fujisaki shiori piano collection".

https://users.pandora.be/lanparty/oshiete.mp3

Offline greyrune

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beginner recording - Oshiete, Mr. Sky
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 12:56:54 PM
That's a lovely little peice and you played it very well.  For a beginner you seem to have a good sense of touch and rubato (not too much).  You could maybe vary the dynamics slightly more but then it's probably not really that sort of peice.  I have to say i'm glad you posted that, i was afraid that what with all these amazing recordings being posted beginners would be afraid to put their stuff up.  I'd post mine (i've also not been playing that long) but i don't have the equipment.  Anyway, again, well done.
I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 05:56:00 AM
I found this rather attractive. Why do you think the dynamics are wrong ? They sounded all right to me. I think the piece itself seems to ask for a contrasting section to be stuck in somewhere, but that observation is just what I would tend to do with it myself, which doesn't really matter. I look forward to hearing more of your playing. To tell the truth I'm much more interested in listening to things here which are not famous. After all, I can get CDs of famous things played by famous people from the shops. The best part of a forum like this is that original and different approaches can be heard.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline cryptkeeper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 11:13:20 AM
Thanks for your positive comments!
Well, the dynamics aren't all wrong but a lot of them are. Sometimes I'm banging the keys.
And I agree that the piece is missing a contrasting section. My piano teacher sais that the song could get boring if you play without dynamics.

*advertise mode on*
You can here more of my songs here, but I should warn you that most of them are old and are played even worse.
https://www.gamingforce.com/forums/showthread.php?p=613590#post613590
*advertise mode off*

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 02:42:35 PM
Do u still have the partition to "Sky theme" or to you remember where it's from.

Very lovely and very well played.

Ron Lefebvre

Ron Lefebvre © Copyright. Any reproduction of all or part of this post is sheer stupidity.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 04:36:31 PM
First of all I must say that I'm a beginner.

Beautiful music and very nice playing :D. Like others in the thread, I am surprised you describe yourself as a beginner (I would reckon this piece to be around grade 5). For how long have you been playing?

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 04:37:33 PM
Do u still have the partition to "Sky theme" or to you remember where it's from.

Very lovely and very well played.

Read about Fujisaki  Shiori piano collection (quite a surprising story) here:

https://www.chudahs-corner.com/reviews/kica7854.html

You can get the scores here:

https://www.gamingforce.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=9777

(you must register as a member, but it is free – well worth it since this site has lots of beautiful obscure scores)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 01:23:32 AM
Actually, the piece I really liked is called Sky Theme by NoBuo Uematsu.

It's from the game Final Fantasy and it's really called Tidus and Yuna's Theme.

I finally found it after searching Hi and low.

Really really nice and flowing.

Type of stuff I eat up.

Ron Lefebvre

Ron Lefebvre © Copyright. Any reproduction of all or part of this post is sheer stupidity.

Offline cryptkeeper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 01:35:57 PM
Thanks bernhard!
I have been learning by myself for about 2 years. Now I'm taking lessons for just 1 year. So 2 years self study and 1 year lessons, this qualifies as a beginner doesn't it?
Right now I'm also learning the proper version of "moonlight sonata" and my teacher wants me to play it as it is meant to be played, and it is much more difficult then I had imagened.
Thanks for the story about fujisaki shiori, I didn't know that (shame on me...).

rlefebvr, I see bernhard has helped you with the sheet music for 'sky theme'. It's indeed a great song and not that difficult to play.
That forum (gamingforce) is a great place for video game music by the way.

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 03:29:40 PM
The Fujisaki  Shiori piano collection  looks amazing. Thanks for the links. Great Study type pieces that I had never heard of before. I really like them.

I am having trouble finding mp3's for these partitions.
(Outside of Ebay. I don't like Ebay or paypall)

The gaming force site looks great, but I am having trouble figuring it out.

I know it's sad.

I also forgot to tell you how well you play. Very nice and pretty good recordings on top of that. What software do you use to transfer to the computer. I believe you said somewhere you own a Roland HP2. Same thing I own.

There also seems to be 15 different names for each piece. LOL

Also, the Fujisaki  Shiori piano collection is part of Final Fantasy or not, a little confused to their origin.

Thanks for any and all info.

Thanks B for the partition link. Awesome stuff.

Ron Lefebvre

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert