Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: mussorgsky - baba yaga  (Read 4705 times)

Offline fliszt

• PS Silver Member
mussorgsky - baba yaga
on: July 22, 2005, 09:07:46 PM
elloww something is not working here during recording. the volume is to high but i cant fix it. it isnt that bad but you may find it disturbing.

comments are welcom!

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Re: mussorgsky - baba yaga
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 05:48:00 PM
it's not bad at all - just raise the tempo, and make it much scarier.

best luck

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 08:32:25 PM
Sounds great!  I love that piece, well done.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline viking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 05:07:27 PM
Sounded really fun.  Does anyone have the sheets to this?  I'd very much like to learn it.
SAM

Offline hwhat06

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:06:07 AM
i would like to learn it too...it sounds like a rach style...not too absolutely hard...challenging...but just impresses the audience to death...good job ;)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 03:57:21 PM
Where's the rest of the pictures :O . You play this well, only it has to be faster and scarier, yes.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 05:10:15 PM
Scarier yes, but not necessarily faster. This is the witch's hut built on chicken legs that dances, it's a hopak. It should be a little ponderous and clompy. Make it dance too fast and the effect will be like something out of yu-gi-oh or some other bad cartoon. Many pianists speed through this to show off their octaves, that's not the point, it's showy anyway. Imagine a house with animal legs dancing, then dancing after you.  :o  That's scarier than fast octaves...

That said it could be just a touch faster, it'll give it a feeling of forward motion which will reinforce the "dance groove". I think your phrasing and shaping ideas are excellent, thay could be more emphatically stated, right now they sound a little tentative. And the middle section needs more tone color and pedal effects, right now it's a touch dry. Your concepts are excellent, you just need to commit to them and go all the way with this, and make a good performance an excellent one. Good job!  :D
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline dlu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 05:56:22 PM
Your playing is beautiful. Maybe experiment with tempo to make it sound less metronomical at parts (even thought the beat should be clear...just a thought I dunno I guess it should be kinda metronomical but try to make the music memorable).

DLu

Offline fliszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 10:48:14 AM
ey guys,

thnx for the respons...i'll try to do something with it...:) havent cheched this forum for a while so i didnt knew i had so much response :)

Offline soderlund

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 02:21:56 PM
You played it very very well I think! I've only heard one other recording but this was certainly the best. Myself I don't think more speed is needed, but that would perhaps be a matter of taste...

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this, I don't know, but how did you manage to play the 64th note tremolo and holding it to only 64th notes without playing too few or too many notes? Is it just something you feel or did you play it extremely slow in the beginning?
If it wasn't for that tremolo I would learn the piece as soon as I could.  Is there any other piece I could play as a preparation, something a little easier?

Offline fliszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 04:04:20 PM
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this, I don't know, but how did you manage to play the 64th note tremolo and holding it to only 64th notes without playing too few or too many notes? Is it just something you feel or did you play it extremely slow in the beginning?
If it wasn't for that tremolo I would learn the piece as soon as I could. Is there any other piece I could play as a preparation, something a little easier?

just do a lot of thrill exercises :p

well i just can hold them...its a feeling... the piece con motuis in lingua morta from mussorsgky either has also a lot of tremolo's but then in 32th notes and can be played a bit slower... and also a very nice piece if youre in the mood for it :)

you can also play the tremolo part slower...it says andante mosso so you dont have to play it that fast.. good luck with it!

Offline soderlund

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 12:37:07 PM
I started playing the piece as soon as i read your message maybe an hour ago. I've managed to play almost the first part. I found the hardest thing to be to switch notes that quickly in the tremolo, not the tremolo itself. But I think I'll get the hang of it soon. Thanks for the advice on the piece, much appreciated!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert