Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Rach Prelude in C# minor op.3 no.2 and Scriabin Etude op.2 no.1  (Read 4776 times)

Offline beginner0

• PS Silver Member
Comments please.

Also for the Scriabin my friend redid it a bit and so it sounds less home recorded ish.

Offline pianohopper

• PS Silver Member
Technically sound.  Very accurate and precise, impressive.

I could do with a bit more speed in the beginning.  Don't want listeners to fall asleep.  You must find the balance between drama and monotony.  Something to pay more attention to, I think, are the common Rachmaninov elements of Bells and Wind.  While the piece is solid note-wise, I think now it is time to work on your interpretation of it.  Rather than playing it cold, try to get into the composer's head.  The way I think of the first octaves are as cannon fire.  It could be the end of a war, or a 3-gun salute at a funeral.  Then the church bells begin, lamenting the dead (war/funeral = death).  Really bring out the lower octaves; they are where the melody lies.  When faced with the  longer groups of eight-note chords (I think you'll know what I'm referring to, I don't have a score in front of me right now), a little more speed is desirable.  Remember they are of equal value to the 3 eight-notes that follow each melody octave in the beginning. 

Now, the middle passage.  I believe it is marked Agitato.  Rubato is acceptable, but always the tempo must be building until the climax, which then leads back to the original melody.  Don't be afraid to really put your weight into the four-finger chords in the final section.  The dynamic is suggested at ff or fff.  Play it that way, don't hold back.  Also, I have studied Rachmaninov's own recording, and he goes for more speed than the first section, althoughhe wrote it as "Tempo I."  Finally, remember the bells, especially as the song winds down.  Take your time with the final chords and really let it sing.

"Today's dog in the alley is tomorrow's moo goo gai pan."  ~ Chinese proverb

Offline chozart

• PS Silver Member
Your Rachmaninov is very nice :)
You sense the power in the piece and express it well
Though this piece is so often played, I sensed no triteness in listening to your performance

I think your Scriabin could use more movement though, so it doesn't get boring.
I love this etude and want to study it as well (considering it as an audition piece) ~
overall, well done and much liked ;)
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Offline raffyplayspiano

• PS Silver Member
i agree with what u have been told so far.

the prelude was pretty good, the etude was a little too slow. 

great job and good luck!
raffy
**Raffy plays the piano**

Offline aajjmb

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rach Prelude in C# minor op.3 no.2 and Scriabin Etude op.2 no.1
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 07:31:53 AM
hmm i only downloaded the scribin... i played these two pieces for my exam 2!!!  i think you could play your scriabim a little faster so that it would hava a bti more life (u play it in 4 mins.. horotiz does it in 2.5 ... i did it in 2 mins 38 secondS) ..also your not sounding all the notes in the ppp section

i've attached my rendition on this great piece... keep in mind that i have some funny notes too... i was in a rush to record and only got 1 go at it...
I learnt and memorized Fantasie Impromptu In 2 hours!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert