Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Moonlight Sonata 1st movement  (Read 3821 times)

Offline mass

Moonlight Sonata 1st movement
on: August 11, 2005, 12:22:38 AM
I'm getting ready to resume lessons after a summer break and have recorded this for my teacher's review.  Would appreciate some constructive criticism prior.  I started from scratch as an adult and have been taking lessons for 3 years.  I had imagined this was going to be an easy piece but soon learned otherwise!!!

BTW My score indicates rolls for many of the 9ths.

Offline beginner0

• PS Silver Member
Re: Moonlight Sonata 1st movement
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 01:21:30 AM
Overall sounds good, but be careful with the tempo, there were some unsteadiness in there, and also some accidental accentation of notes.

Offline i_m_robot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 01:59:10 AM
do you have small hands?

???
WATASHI NO NAMAE WA

AI EMU ROBATO DESU

立派のエビの苦闘及びは立派である

Offline mass

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 11:35:28 AM
Why do you ask?  Because of the rolls?   I can stretch to a 9th but my teacher wanted me to roll as in the score I'm working from.

Offline mass

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 11:43:28 AM
Overall sounds good, but be careful with the tempo, there were some unsteadiness in there, and also some accidental accentation of notes.

Thanks for listening.  I do find it hard to keep steady.  Sometimes it goes a little smoother but alas.. never when I'm recording...... Thanks for the comments!!

Offline i_m_robot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 05:45:04 PM
Why do you ask?  Because of the rolls?

exactly

its not... suiting to this piece

it sound a bit strange and it may throw off your rhythm

what score do you have

self has never seen rolled chords in this sonata before
WATASHI NO NAMAE WA

AI EMU ROBATO DESU

立派のエビの苦闘及びは立派である

Offline mass

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 06:56:02 PM
We're using Michael Aaron Grade 4 book.

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 04:44:24 AM
Loved it.  Sounds great.  I wanted to work on this piece too.  Just started.  I can't reach the ninths easily so I have to break them up.   Keep up the great work.  What's your next project/piece?
Practice!

Offline mass

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 12:59:25 PM
Thanks!

My next piece is Nocturne by John Field.  Just started about a week ago. Want to get familiar with it a little before lessons resume. It's one of those that sounded easy but now that I've started.....aaahh..  it's in 12/8 with 230mm and the left hand reminds me a little of the triplets in moonlight but so much faster....  Moonlight took about 6 or 7 months and I know it still need work (but I'm getting a little tired of it) I expect this will be one I'll work on till at least Christmas - perhaps longer.....

I started from scratch at 42 - no lessons of any kind as a child and have never tried another instrument.  I'll obviously never be a professional but it's never too late to have fun and play a little half decent music along the way!!!

Here's a snippit of my teacher's recording of Nocturne.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert