Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: My improvisations  (Read 4324 times)

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
My improvisations
on: August 16, 2005, 06:28:34 AM
-
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Smoothly Possessed (Improvisation)
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 09:22:26 AM
I found this a pleasantly introspective piece, not a little reminiscent of some of Frank Bridge's darker works. Stereophonically the recording is very good and the piano sound is full, but there is a strange low pitched hiss which was hard to get rid of without altering the quality. Perhaps some recording setting needs to be fiddled with.

The difficulty with creating music on a regular pulse is that the onus of meaning via contrast is thrown onto the non-rhythmical elements of harmony, melody and volume. Unless my object is to create an atmosphere of frozen, minimalistic  stillness, the sort of texture which occurs at the end of "Regard du Silence", for instance, I confess that I am normally unable to create enough momentum of interest for myself with these latter elements alone. The title would seem to indicate that the intended mood is one of sinister calm. If so, then you have succeeded.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Smoothly Possessed (Improvisation)
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:53:57 AM
I live in a place near which a lot of lorries pass by, the bothering noise is their vibrations. I guess I cannot do much about it.

It's recorded with the simplest device possible : the internal microphone of my e-mac and the piano is a U1.

Thanks for your comments. Actually, the title came after the music but yes, your description of the mood is appropriate.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
My improvisations
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 08:46:38 PM

Samson François

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Re: My improvisations
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 09:57:26 PM
I'm deeply impressed by your improvistaion "smoothly possessed", the sad mood, how the sounds flowing everywhere and nowhere,  really wonderful  :)
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 04:06:00 AM
Smoothly posessed was wicked cool. Nice dark harmonies...keep posting

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:12:52 PM
I got mad after my weak piano skillz
so I improvised
If we can call it improvisation
Random Muzik
if we can call it Muzik

EDIT Hmmm

An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Fortunately

Samson François

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:49:50 AM
I would like to hear such mad-inspired musik.  Please try again. 

Sometimes the best improv comes when you are experinecing an emotion, and not really thinking what you are playing.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 11:10:01 AM
--

Samson François

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 05:33:52 PM
removed

Samson François

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 06:25:34 PM
removed

Samson François
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert