Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Schubert - Musical Moment n° 2  (Read 14075 times)

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Schubert - Musical Moment n° 2
on: September 02, 2005, 08:24:34 PM
I started piano 10 years ago as an autodidact because I was (and still am) enloved with Schubert's music. But it is more difficult than what it seems first...
Thanks in advance for your advices, especially  for the second theme,  pp at 1mn25, with which I am not happy at all.

Didier

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert - Musical Moment n° 2
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 01:02:14 PM
The first exposition of the second theme is better here.

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 11:14:45 PM
Very far from perfect, but better. Let me know what I shall improve first. Thanks for your listening;

Didier

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:14:09 AM
You playd this very well, it sounded spiritual.  I Cant be critical really :).
   You know when you play these opening chords, try to conciously bring out the top and botton notes, all the notes in the middle play them as you do, . Tell me if you already do, do that, its not easy. But if it is done correctly it will sound very beautiful.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 12:09:24 PM
Thank you for you advice Zheer. In the past, I did that conciously for the top notes only, for bringing out  the melody, but it is no longer concious now. I think you're right and I am going by this way to change the color of the chords.   

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 11:47:40 AM
Another take, slower.

Offline gouldfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 06:57:53 PM
Didier,
As a beginner I can't give any constructive advice, but I just have to say how much I enjoy your recording of this moment musical.  I listened to it at least 5 times today and can't seem to get enough of it !  I especially like the slow tempo (I don't know at what tempo it is usually play since till today I never heard this piece); the pianissimo reminds me of V. Horowitz.  Every note bursts of expression.  It is very, very beautiful !

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 02:50:38 PM
Thank you for your so kind appreciation, Gouldfan. The usual tempo corresponds better to the indication andantino from Schubert. Then this Moment musical expresses nostalgia. A very good exemple of this kind of interpretation is the one by Radu Lupu (CD Decca). If you like the pianissimi, especially in the first exposition of the second theme, you should listen to it : it is miraculous. At a slower tempo, like mine, the expression may go beyond nostalgia. I was first influenced by an interpretation by Claudio Arrau. Also more recently, I listen to a record of a concert given in Amsterdam in 1987 by Youri Egorov, a few months before he died because of AIDS. Its tempo is still slower than mine and the expression is a strange mix of serenity and drama. Of course, I am very far from the perfection reached by these great interprets. But I am very glad to have made you discover and appreciate this Schubert work. 

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 11:39:23 PM
Here a new take.
I hope that you will enjoy. Let me know what I shall improve. Thank you for your listening.
Didier

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 10:24:33 PM
Hi !
I am still on this piece...

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 02:50:06 AM
Well done for persevering with this and all the effort you have put in so far. I hope these comments will help you improve:

You started off with a suitable tempo but the main thing you need to concentrate on is keeping the tempo steady throughout - even when the dynamics change. Play this piece with a metronome a few times and you will discover why. This is essential in bringing the piece together as a coherent whole.

The second obvious thing is that your rhythm is inconsistent, e.g. sometimes you don't hold the notes for their full value (especially tied notes), sometimes you play the third quaver of each group too soon and sometimes you play the semiquaver just before the next group for too long so that it becomes a quaver. This distorts the rhythm and affects the flow of the music. Note that the first section is characterised by dotted rhythms whereas the second section has more flowing quavers etc. Enjoy these rhythms! If you count 1-2-3, 1-2-3 in your head as you play, this will help tremendously.

The other things is look at any repeated notes in the RH, make sure you play them with a sense of direction, i.e. leading up to a particular note. Also, think of the longer melodic line when shaping your phrases.

Even though you bring out the top notes clearly, somehow the middle notes tend to get lost and do not appear to sound - thus the harmonic richness is lost.

Also, try to make more of the dynamic markings - there should be more dynamic contrasts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♫ LTCL Piano Performance
♫ ABRSM Grade 8 Theory of Music (Distinction)

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 06:17:07 PM
Many thanks for having listened to my recording so carefully. Your comments are very usefull to me. I listened again to my recording and acknowledge that you are right. Except may be for the last comment that, I think, is more a question of personal taste.
Well, I have still to work on this piece.     :)

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 02:17:35 PM
I look forward to your next recording of this!

With regards to my comments on dynamics, I was commenting on what Schubert actually indicated in the score and this should not be altered. I quote a few examples:

Looking at my urtext edition, Schubert has marked the beginning 'p' and in bar 8 as 'pp' - however, you played these at the same dynamic level. It is also worth noting that he marks 'p' in bar 35 and 'pp' in bar 74.

Similarly, bar 18 is marked 'pp' but then he puts 'p' in bar 30 onwards - this increase in the dynamic level was not apparent in your recording.

The climax starting in bar 55 is dynamically well played at 'f' but be careful to sustain the 'f' even in bar 61 - and then a sudden drop to 'p' in bar 62. However, you continue to play rather loudly here. You did drop the dynamics in bar 64 but this could be made more obvious - same thing with bars 65-69 being 'p' and then 'pp' from bar 70.

I hope this is helpful!  :)
♫ LTCL Piano Performance
♫ ABRSM Grade 8 Theory of Music (Distinction)

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 01:46:02 PM
I take into account some of your comments, especially about the rythm, which is not yet fully consistent but it's better, I think. Only doing that required much work. Please consider that this is still a testimony of my on-going work. I intend to proceed in the improvements that you kindly suggested to me. 

NB Meanwhile I changed my audio gear. If my interpretation would not be improved significantly, the sound is, I'm sure. ;)   

You may download from here or listen in streaming
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert