Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin - Etude Op. 2/1  (Read 3739 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Scriabin - Etude Op. 2/1
on: September 23, 2005, 03:14:48 PM
Recorded today.  Piano was just tuned, and the hammers reshaped a bit.  The scale is now more even between the bichord / trichord break.  The tone changed a bit as a result, much more rounded.  The una-corda doesn't have as pronounced effect as before, I'm guessing as there is less a difference between the compacted areas of felt on the hammers. 

Scriabin - Etude Op. 2/1
Mic: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C3

Enjoy!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin - Etude Op. 2/1
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 06:58:22 PM
Recorded today.  Piano was just tuned, and the hammers reshaped a bit.  The scale is now more even between the bichord / trichord break.  The tone changed a bit as a result, much more rounded.  The una-corda doesn't have as pronounced effect as before, I'm guessing as there is less a difference between the compacted areas of felt on the hammers. 

Scriabin - Etude Op. 2/1
Mic: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C3

Enjoy!

This is a very good recording, all things considered. One thing I particularly liked about it was your approach to tempo and phrasing - beautiful sense of line. The rubato in particular is perfect for me - a well judged tempo, coupled with the brooding intensity that's necessary for the music.  If there's anything, it really does remind me of Horowitz's approach in that respect. If it was me playing this music, I would have pretty much played it the same way. 

If there's one thing I would prefer though, it would be for the melodic voices to come out even more distinctly, though I can see that you've already tried hard. In this case, one would have preferred the melodic line to be not just louder (which is what you have done), but "thicker", whilst the other voices in the chords would be more subdued. I would have also placed more emphasis on the inner voices at some points, but that's really an interpretative choice. Really really good though. Very musical.

Perhaps it is a limitation of the piano - Yamahas generally aren't capable of the same range of colours/timbres as say, a Sauter.  It's also interesting you noted how the tone of the piano changes quite drastically with tuning/voicing, particularly your comment on how the una corda is not as distinct as before (and that's really important in a piece like this). I noticed that many Yamaha and Kawai pianos do not have the same distinct change in timbre when the una corda is depressed, as say a good German piano like a Sauter. I like that distinct change - really an additional option to the pianist's pallette. Do tell us how the "distinctiveness" of the una-corda changes, as the voicing wears out.

Meanwhile, have fun! I'm saving this and will study when I learn this piece myself :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 05:41:08 AM
wzkit, thanks verry much for your comments.  I like your ideas about having a different tonal quality between melody and accompaniment, I'll try to incorporate it into my playing. 

I also really like pianos that have distinct difference in sound with the una corda.  I use that pedal a lot to achive more varied and contrasting tonal effects, and on a good piano it can give the music much deeper meaning. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 12:16:41 PM
I like your sound very much- it's very warm and give me a pleasure to listen.
btw.I like Yamaha's pianos (especialy model C3) because of their sound, althaught sometimes they don't have deep sound when you need him (in Liszt for example)

I hope that we'll hear something from you... ;)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 07:18:37 AM
That was enjoyable to listen to. I felt that the strings sounded too short. The harmonies didn't ring out long or strong enough. I really like hearing this peice played with lots of legato, when it sounds like chopping as the chords ascend it sounds funny to me. It was boarderline legato and chopping to me.

and bar 22, time1:15 in the recording. There is a wrong note, careful to play the Ebb in the RH instead of the Eb.

Experiment with Rubato in the middle voice especially in measures 31, the Eb DD C##C## DD etc broaden it out, not so well timed.

Start crescendo parts softer than you normally would, so you can get louder.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline invictus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 07:58:45 AM
Ok, good new and bad news

Bad News:
I dont think you brought out the expressiveness of this piece, i dont think you put too much into this piece, I just couldn't hear the feelings when you played it, it sounded very buisness minded

'Give me 100 bucks, and i will play for you'

Good news:
You have a great technique
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert