Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff Etude, Liszt Ballade, and Scriabin Prelude  (Read 3139 times)

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Hey guys.  I've been taking lessons for 9 years.  I've uploaded the following pieces:

Rachmaninoff - Etude Tableau Op.39 No.5
Liszt - Ballade No.2 (Excerpt)
Scriabin - Prelude Op.11 No.6

I really want to know what you guys think!

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff Etude, Liszt Ballade, and Scriabin Prelude
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 07:27:38 PM
Hey guys.  I've been taking lessons for 9 years.  I've uploaded the following pieces:

Rachmaninoff - Etude Tableau Op.39 No.5
Let me start here. As I've said elsewhere, I don't get to TEACH people who play such pieces. So it's a real pleasure for me to come here and see people working hard, and this (in my opinion) is a VERY difficult composition.

You have some wrong notes, but I'd wager you know that and that they are not misreadings but just "things that went bump in the night" as you recorded.

In my opinion you have the piece in your fingers in a way that will enable you to play this with mastery in the future. At the moment, I think the sheer challenge of getting all the notes has you a bit tight, and believe me, I can understand this, since I've been struggling with the same issues. I'm working on this myself right now.

Would you like me to mention things that I heard that might be true mistakes, rhythm or notes?

Gary

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 12:29:30 AM
Let me start here. As I've said elsewhere, I don't get to TEACH people who play such pieces. So it's a real pleasure for me to come here and see people working hard, and this (in my opinion) is a VERY difficult composition.

You have some wrong notes, but I'd wager you know that and that they are not misreadings but just "things that went bump in the night" as you recorded.

In my opinion you have the piece in your fingers in a way that will enable you to play this with mastery in the future. At the moment, I think the sheer challenge of getting all the notes has you a bit tight, and believe me, I can understand this, since I've been struggling with the same issues. I'm working on this myself right now.

Would you like me to mention things that I heard that might be true mistakes, rhythm or notes?

Gary

Are you referring to the Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau?

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 02:23:51 AM
Are you referring to the Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau?
Yes. The Etude Tableau Op.39 No.5. I quoted that above my comments. It's one of my favorite Rachmaninov compositions. :)

Gary
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert