Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Kabelevsky - Sonatina No 1  (Read 3560 times)

Offline luvslive

• PS Silver Member
Kabelevsky - Sonatina No 1
on: December 13, 2005, 03:00:54 AM
Movt 1 Allegro assai e lusingando
college senior recital, audio from a video camera (poor sound), played on a kawai grand in a hall...listening to this i hear 2 pretty obvious mistakes, can you find more?  ;) hehe

Offline luvslive

• PS Silver Member
Re: Kabelevsky - Sonatina No 1
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:11:03 AM
Movt 2 Andantino
there is an error  in the middle, and annoying buzz throughout..
Movt 3 Presto
was the last thing on my recital, i was getting a little excited, hence ugly mistakes throughout.. :P

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 03:56:40 PM
Movt 1 Allegro assai e lusingando
college senior recital, audio from a video camera (poor sound), played on a kawai grand in a hall...listening to this i hear 2 pretty obvious mistakes, can you find more?  ;) hehe

Sure I can find more but is that the point?  ::) I really enjoyed this, good energy and fearless tempo! Excellent contrast at tranquillo e cantando...you did not observe the ma in tempo part of this direction but most performers don't, it's a hard thing to do for some reason. However at a tempo you stay at the slower tempo, which makes the demarcation between the two themes not so delineated. You restore the tempo at scherzando on the next page, and you get into some trouble, maybe you should plan your tempi changes; I have a feeling the tempo changes  I described above were spontaneous or off the cuff, not planned out. This can be a dangerous  thing to do.

Hey I enjoyed this, good energy contrasted with a nice singing line, clear (mostly) fingerwork, and above all enthusiasm! I will listen to the other two movements later.... :) 8)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline I Love Xenakis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 06:37:51 AM
First Movement- I enjoyed the openning.  Very energetic.  The only thing I didn't like about it was a lack of clarity.  This could have to do with the piano or the recording equipment but I don't think so.  You might try to pick up the tempo just a tiny bit; could also use more pedal in the chordal segments of those passages, or is it marked as staccato?  The slower passages were very nice, if not a bit too rigid in dynamics ^^

Second Movement- I think you should play a bit more with Piano and Forte, really stressing those single notes with the chords just sort of like a backround.  Could also use a bit more pedal IMO.  The more staccato-ish sections were very good, but again, play more with P/F

Third Movement- I have no complaints about the third movement that aren't just accidental errors.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Lau is my new PF hero ^^

Offline luvslive

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 06:12:29 PM
thank you both for taking the time to listen and comment.   :-*
i agree that the 1st movement has some tempo issues.  my main concern for this movement was always bringing out the melody in the tranquillo section to make it as beautiful as possible and contrasting that with the accented and exciting lively parts.  should have thought a bit more about keeping the legato parts up to tempo.
in the second movement i agree that the lefthand should sound faint and distant, like footsteps in the snow.  i did not build quite as i may have at the ending..though i am not sure where i would have used forte. the second movement to me was like a memory or dream so that may be why i never used forte.

Offline I Love Xenakis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 12:33:34 AM
I'm not saying to play anything loud, just to be more contrasting, but then again this my just be my personal preference.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Lau is my new PF hero ^^

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 07:29:06 PM
Luvslive, i can safly say i know nothing about this piece, so if you playd wrong notes etc etc i wouldnt know. However i found this piece very uplifting, well playd.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert