Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: J. S. Bach - Goldberg Variations (Aria + Var 1 + Var 2)  (Read 6781 times)

Offline gouldfischer

• PS Silver Member
J. S. Bach - Goldberg Variations (Aria + Var 1 + Var 2)
on: December 15, 2005, 05:44:56 PM
Hi everybody. This is my first post to the Audition Room.

I'm 29 and a late starter. I've only been studying since last July, so don't expect to hear any overwhelming exhibition of technique. The sound quality is also poor, I apologize for that. (I'll record it again with a better equipment, soon.)

I'd pretty much appreciate to hear from you guys about this.

I purposefully decided not to re-record anything to correct mistakes (these are all first take's) because I wanted you to be able to listen to my average play (not the best I can do, possibly, but probably not the worst, also - the worst was surely last Monday, during my first real audition, what the hell was that?!...)

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
    Vinícius.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Re: J. S. Bach - Goldberg Variations (Aria + Var 1 + Var 2)
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 06:48:41 PM
WAW from last july only, congratulation.Well in that case i wont say anything apart from the fact that i felt like Dr Hanabl Lector listning to that.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline gouldfischer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:03:13 PM
Thank you, zheer. But please let me know what you guys think REGARDLESS of the fact that I have played only for half a year. I mean, I don't want it to prevent you from criticizing normally - cause the idea is that I want to learn with your comments! :-)

Offline canucks13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 02:33:17 AM
Wow, for less then a year of studying that is amazing playing. The only thing I'll comment on is that, to my hears, the 1st variation sounded under-tempo. Also, the aria sounds very similar to Gould's '81 recording in terms of ornaments and tempo (this isn't neccessarily a bad thing), but you could try and be a little more....I dunno, interpretive in your interpretation :P.

***these are just suggestions, so you can ignore me if you want ;D
too close for missiles, switching to guns!

Offline gouldfischer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 03:19:57 AM
Thank you very much, Canucks, for your comments.

Yes, you're totally right in your comparison to Gould's '81 Aria. I actually WANTED to play it that way. :-) But I understand your point. I sometimes play it to my teacher in a faster tempo and with altogether different (more harpsichordish) ornaments.

I guess you're also right when you say that the 1st variation is under-tempo.

Thank you again!

Vinícius.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 02:02:35 PM
very nice stuff. Quite Impressive work for about 6 months. Are you from Brazil to? Can you tell me who is your teacher?

Carlos - from São Paulo

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 02:08:33 PM
impressive

Offline gouldfischer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 11:46:25 AM
very nice stuff. Quite Impressive work for about 6 months. Are you from Brazil to? Can you tell me who is your teacher?

Carlos - from São Paulo

Hi, Carlos. How are you?

Yes, I'm Brazilian, too, from Rio de Janeiro. (I'll be writting in English so that everyone can follow us, ok?)

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I only played in public once (badly - I was way too nervous) and, apart from my teacher and my fiancée (who is not a musician), I've only played to myself so far, therefore I found it really motivating to hear such nice feedback.

Answering your question: I study at CBM (Conservatório Brasileiro de Música) with Professor Maria Cristina do Nascimento (an excellent teacher, by the way).

Do you, by any chance, also play the Goldbergs? I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with other people who are working on them, like me.

OK, then. Nice to meet you here, mate.

Abração,
    Vinícius.

impressive

Thank you, bearz. Btw, I liked your posts in that "(anti-) Mozart bashing" topic. :-)

Cheers.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 04:47:11 PM
Ok, congrats to you and your teacher! Keep up the good work! believe me, it´s pretty amazing to play that well in only 6 months.

Sorry, but I do not play this piece. I am returning from a looong long hibernation away of the piano, just restarted 3 months ago. Quite exiting, though! I have some other pieces in my current repertoire, a  Mozart Sonata in D, some Mozkowsky and Bach´s Tocatta... I´m tryng to get some recording equipment, so I can share my atempts eventually. Anyway I do love the Goldberg´s and hopeffuly I´ll get the chance to play it some day.

Looking forward for more recordings!

Best Wishes!
Carlos
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert