Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Haydn sonata Hob. XVI/49 in E flat  (Read 3810 times)

Offline kd

• PS Silver Member
Haydn sonata Hob. XVI/49 in E flat
on: February 01, 2006, 08:25:04 PM
I heard this sonata about two weeks ago, I liked it so much that I decided to learn it, and here's some effect of my learning, of course not meant to be finished by now.
Let me know what you think - and keep in mind I'm a late beginner  :)

Offline joachimf

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn sonata Hob. XVI/49 in E flat
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:44:40 PM
You have very good technique,  but it's a bit too fast for my taste =)
"Don't give me excuses, give me results!"

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:25:10 PM
you played well, especially for only two weeks. congrats.

Offline kd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 12:42:50 AM
You think I have good technique...? So say this to my teacher  :)
In the 1st mvt I messed up the ornaments (especially in bar 35 and similar one later, I still can't get through this one...), I did something strange with the rhythm in the development. Of course there are a few slips here and there. Also, the final run doesn't sound very convincing - although there are no missing notes. Too fast? Perhaps. That's what in my score (138). I don't know what "professional" performances are like. {Actually, I don't know why this is a Grade 8 piece, comparing with other pieces on the list.}
The 2nd mvt - I'm relatively satisfied with it, despite some unevenness in the middle section.
The 3rd: I missed some notes and a few thirds are uneven (the same also happened in 1st, but the fingering 24 - 35 - 24 is difficult for me to perform evenly), but the mvt doesn't seem to be very difficult after all.
I still have to work on ornaments and thirds, and of course on interpretative part. Suggestions are most welcome.

Offline joachimf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 01:38:28 PM
Technically I still think it is quite good, but I notice that you speed up at certain places. It should be very even, and if you need to speed up/slow down because of musical interpretation, you should get back on the same beat, don't displace the beat when you're going back to tempo. At least this is my opinion and what I've been taught=) Try tapping the tempo at the beginning, and compare it to the tempo further in in the first movement.

Musically you can probably do more out of it than you are currently doing. If you need to listen to a recording I can really recommend Leif Ove Andsnes' recording of this sonata (keep in mind that I haven't heard any other artists playing this=)

Actually, I hadn't heard you play the 2. and 3. movement.. I was too tired that night to notice that there was more on the mp3:P
In the second movement, the ornaments are way too loud in my opinion. You might try to play only the notes that contribute to the base melody; those are the ones that should be emphasized, the ornaments + a few others should be.. uhm.. in lack of a better word, different =) I would also use some more pedal at around 6:57... but then again, that's me;)

However, when playing the beautiful passage that begins around 9:54 you need to look at the dynamics! They are very important in that passage.

I played the 3rd movement more "jumpy", but that's me, I'm not saying you should, or if that is more correct:P Tempo-wise, we have almost the exact same tempo in the 3rd movement, so I have nothing special to critisize there:P

Good luck on further improving your sonata!  :)

Best regards,
Joachim
"Don't give me excuses, give me results!"

Offline troglodyte

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 04:32:10 PM
Well done kd, I also love this sonata and played it a few years ago (after I heard Perahia play it in Stockholm), I'll see if I can find my recording. You are quite good and for two weeks this is amazing. We use much the same tempi. You might consider playing the chords more softly with LH, particularly in 2nd movement, the impression is sometimes a bit rough. And I agree with JoachimF that you could do more with the dynamics, this will probably come in time. I recall I used no pedal at all except in the middle section of 2nd movement - how much do you use?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert