Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata, 1st movement  (Read 5953 times)

Offline florestan9

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata, 1st movement
on: May 05, 2006, 02:32:21 AM
Comments/criticism/suggestions welcome.  This is in progress, not final version.

rec. May 4, 2006, on a Yamaha grand, using Goldwave and a cheap mic on my laptop.

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata, 1st movement
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 12:46:07 PM
you need to work a bit on piano sound, more contrast between pp all the way to ff. Try closing your eyes at the tremolo part and you will be shocked what you actually hear (happened to me ;) )

the beginning was a little dry for me, maybe try some half\quarter pedal to get a bit rounder sound from the piano. Also, try to relax a bit around measure 80, enjoy the slow modulation towards the new key. From measure 110, try to create a bit more feeling of progression, so the arpeggiated chords dont sound all alike. Watch measure 173, huge difference between the sudden F to pp. The playing from measure 210 is very good. From measure 235, try and make a bit more out of the surprising major appearing in the next scale.

Else i very much enjoyed the ending and much is in place :)

i hope you will post the 2nd\3rd movement also? good job!
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline florestan9

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 04:57:31 PM
I've been experimenting with the pedaling on the first page and still haven't found the effect that I want, but I agree after a second listen that it sounds too dry.  Thanks for your other comments too - don't have a score in front of me at the moment but I'll check them later.  Hoping to do the 2nd/3rd mvts eventually, but I'll be moving out of college soon and may not have access to piano for a few months   :o

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 05:16:22 PM
if we are talking about pedal,i think there is no need for it in the hole 1st page.anyway,nice job,i really enjoyed the ending
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert