Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: FI  (Read 2750 times)

Offline skyp

• PS Silver Member
FI
on: June 12, 2006, 04:04:03 AM
hi,

I'm a newbie here, and considered a beginner in piano too. I know how ppl here despise this song, saying that it's overplayed etc.  However, I just need some comments about my playing so that i can improve myself in the future...thanks!

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: FI
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:27:07 AM
I wouldnt say you are a beginner, but you seem to want to perform the piece before you finish learning it.  I would slow it down a little bit (maybe 3/4 speed) and make sure no notes are getting left behind.  If you find yourself getting lazy in certain parts, take it apart and think about the condition of your hand.  Sometimes, a bad decision in fingering can be the cause of a problem and once you change it, boom, the problem is fixed (once you forget the old way and adjust to the new way).

another thing --> dont focus so much on finishing the first part before moving on to the slow 2nd part.  Sometimes it just takes time to get used to playing at tempo; I would go on and learn the whole piece such that you can play it half assed, but nevertheless from start to finish.  and then you can more clearly see which moments and hand position changes need further work.

Offline skyp

• PS Silver Member
Re: FI
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 02:01:31 AM
tx donjuan!!

Yup, i havn't really finished learning the piece, because i figured it might be better for me to master the first part before moving on. Thanks for your advice, and i'll try playing the second and third part of the piece.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert