Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: fantasie impromtu (2nd recording)  (Read 4268 times)

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
fantasie impromtu (2nd recording)
on: July 09, 2006, 10:48:36 PM
Here my recording of fantasy impromtu, i play it alot better since the last time i posted it but the mic doesnt seem to capture the fast runs well, i hear it ok at home though.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Re: fantasie impromtu (2nd recording)
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 11:52:18 PM
I would like to suggest that you breathe in the A sections.  Though there is a sixteenth note rest at the beginning of each phrase of the first theme, and while I know that it is there, I do not hear a breath.  My feeling listening to this is that you do not trust yourself, and are racing through it in order to feel secure in your technical grasp.  You DO have a solid grasp of this piece technically, and so you should let this musical speech sound impromptu, rather than that you are incredibly nervous to in front of a group of people and end up spitting out your words as quickly as possible in order to finish.

In short, I have the impression that this piece could benefit from breathing between phrases through out.  Beneath that surface, however, it is evident that you need to practice it VERY slowly, both at and away from the keyboard.

Also, be careful with the quick descending run in the B section.  It is easy to execute that as Liszt, rather than Chopin.

I can tell that this is very easy for you, and so just be more comfortable with it.

Best,
ML

Offline psaiko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:46:06 PM
Here my recording of fantasy impromtu, i play it alot better since the last time i posted it but the mic doesnt seem to capture the fast runs well, i hear it ok at home though.

I agree with the person above in a lot of things. True the fast section is supposed to be agitated, still you should allow yourself to breathe more. When you play the bars with a "missing" first note, imagine in your head the note is there but dont actually play it. Then it should be natural to play the first note in the score slightly more quite than the others. Now you are putting too much pressure on the first note. I think this will solve a lot of your problems.

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:38:47 PM
You are right michael. Overall i am an un easy person when i sit and play piano and i tend to get nervous, (especially) in crowds. Maybe thats because of the lack of constant teacher time i havent dominated myself. Also,  Sometimes id rather just play and not practice, i think theres a big difference. Ill take note on the advice, i guess it will help me with other pieces as well.
thanks rachmanny   

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 03:29:35 PM
Hi,

Good start!  I tend to agree with the previous posters.  You do sound nervous (I understand that well!).  So probably more practice will help that.  More "breathing" is good advice, and I think you need more clarity (I realize maybe it's your recording). 

In the middle section, you have too much emphasis on the downbeat of every measure--You are hitting the LH note too hard.  Practice it HS, remembering to keep LH even and softer than RH.  The RH melody must have beautiful phrasing.  Keep thinking over bar lines, lo-o-ng lines!

Once you have the notes clear and the musicality in mind, my suggestion?  When you play this in front of an audience, don't practice it right beforehand.  Play it "impromptu." 

Have fun!
Teresa

Offline simoncowellforclassical

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 04:02:47 PM
Fantasie IMPROMPTU...Chopin, God Save ur compositions!!!!!!!!!!
Why was it called Fantasie Impromptu? I think he created Impromptu may be...its definitely a great improvisation, all composers are true improvisers in their heart. But these pathetique pianists bang this Fantasie Impromptu all their life not by note, every piece of mark on the sheet music  and still dont get it....This is one of the reasons Classical Music is dying....While the composers of 18th, 19th and 20th centuries were true innovators the modern performers(inlcuding Lang Lang and bang Bang) are the most boring, the most idiotic and the most insignificant of them all....they dont understand any thing in music, probably they shud have been doing something else.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 06:00:22 PM
can you play it?  do you play the piano?  some people are looking at pianists through one lens and another thru another.  if you want fantasie impromptu - try thibeaudet.  but, u can't compare amateurs to professionals really.  you have too look at these pieces as learning tools - and as a pianist matures - they become more mature in their interpretations.  but, there is an element of struggle here - unlike with pop stars that are more concerned with the idea of 'image.'  image is nothing in classical music.  you don't need an image to make a cd sound well.  you need a good teacher and a good sound man.

a two day trip to the spa and a couple of performing outfits would probably get the average pianist's 'image' in shape.  i would like to also say that in general - classical musicians agree that they are going to be poor and respectful of their art.  they don't want big bucks - as much as a happy audience. 

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 05:51:22 PM
I like the way *I* play it the best.  ;D

Offline psaiko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 10:22:38 PM
I like the way *I* play it the best.  ;D

Me too. To be perfectly honest, I dont like any other interpretations then my own.

***, that sounded narcastic ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert