Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin, Prelude, Op. 28, No. 2 in Am  (Read 5022 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Chopin, Prelude, Op. 28, No. 2 in Am
on: July 16, 2006, 02:21:48 AM
Some have called this piece a depiction of a caterpiller or inchworm moving along.  :)  It is probably a less characteristic piece of Chopin's style of composing, but provides a wonderful contrast within the preludes.   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline theodor_thuis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin, Prelude, Op. 28, No. 2 in Am
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:45:25 PM
This prelude is indeed a bit strange, which gives it an appeal of its own.  I like your picture of the caterpillar - although as I see it crawling it is rather depressed.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:48:09 AM
Hi theodor,

Wow, that rendition of mine you found was from 2006--an "historical" recording from the back archives! ;D  I think I was the only person before now to record and post Prelude 28/2 here.  (Pianistimo is no longer here.)  My recording is actually an old analog recording I made in 1992. I believe my playing has evolved quite a bit since then, so I would probably play it a bit differently now.   

Yes, your interpretation is different, but effective as well. 

Thanks for giving my ancient recording new life!

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 02:43:47 PM
Hi David,
this is one of more startling composition of Chopin, so 'modern', stark and unrelievedly lugubrious with its dissonances. Your rendition doesn't stress the heavy LH, but is indeed very effective. Thank you for sharing!!!!!

Offline gvans

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:05:07 AM
What a strange piece! Only the final measures sound Chopinesque. George Sand and he must have gotten into it the day he wrote it, or his TB was acting up, or something. Well played. But strange. Thanks, David.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:33:03 AM
Hi Marg and gvans,

I'm glad you liked my rendition of this Chopin prelude. The reason I didn't emphasize the bass is because despite the dissonances, the piece is still melodic in the treble. So that's what I decided to feature at the time.

I'm still shocked that this ancient recording has returned to see the light of day again! Very unexpected to be sure.  This was recorded in 1992. I'm sure if I were to record it today, it might sound different, as I'm a different pianist now. I give Chopin all the credit for the surprise element, as this very odd piece falls outside of his far more customary and familiar idiom.  

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s (and in my middle years), I embarked on studying piano with my second teacher.  In hindsight I now view those efforts as student recordings.  I wonder now if I should go back into the archives and delete a bunch of those pieces. This isn't the first time that one of these has resurfaced. I need to give that some thought.

David
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert