Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: [Gus Kahn-Ted Fiorito] I Never Knew (That Roses Grew)  (Read 4542 times)

Offline bryant88

• PS Silver Member
  Here is another of my roll interpretations. I really like the melody.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Re: [Gus Kahn-Ted Fiorito] I Never Knew (That Roses Grew)
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:44:38 PM
I like the melody too, I've always liked this song. Erroll Garner's recording of it is one of my top 10 favorite jazz piano recordings. This song (written in 1904, I believe) was a popular jazz improv vehicle until about the early 1960's, when things changed in Jazz. Lester Young's recording of it is one of the legendary recordings of Jazz.

Now; "your interpretations" ?  Are you punching these out, making these rolls, or are they QRS rolls and such? If you're making these, that's amazing! They're excellent!
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:53:23 AM
happy to hear another roll tonight.  i feel pleased to end the day on a good note.(s)

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 02:00:40 AM
Another good one  :D. Sounds very fun to play and difficult with the rolls....But I hate to ask are you playing this? since it says "Miller Player Piano" in the tag editor :-\
the metranome is my enemy

Offline bryant88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 07:25:17 PM
  These are my interpretations of the piano rolls- by interpretations I mean that I select the tempos and try to impart subtle dynamic shadings by use of the foot pumps. In my previous tune (You Do Something To Me) I brought out the left-hand melody where appropriate. I am trying to show that the old foot pumped players can be capable of musical results when played with some feeling for the music.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert