Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude opus10 no 1  (Read 6076 times)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude opus10 no 1
on: August 10, 2006, 11:30:21 AM
   Dont know what to think of it my self but have been working on it on and off for about 8 months.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude opus10 no 1
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 03:08:21 PM
hey that was really cool! i loved the swaying whispering feel, almost like a lullaby

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:10:57 PM
hey that was really cool! i loved the swaying whispering feel, almost like a lullaby

Hay thanks for the kind words chromaticler,hmmmm never thought of it as a lullaby, to be honest this etude is difficult for me to play , i heard your interpretation you seem to have the speed in your fingers.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 06:50:47 PM
Good conception, your LH melody is phrased and shaped very well. I like your pedaling but it blurs occasionally.

Now you have to dig in with the RH so all those notes are precise, even, in time and strong. Really dig in forcefully and make it happen. But don't speed it up yet.

And don't be discouraged. This is a very difficult piece, it's going to take some time to get it really good. I studied this, but never performed it outside of my then teacher's studio masterclasses. Hang in there, you'll get it!  :)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 10:57:11 PM
well you obviously have conception, just you have to clear it up and speed it up. cos now it sounds rather like lulaby like chromatickler said (but his looks like messy race heh), but that's how i started, how everybody started. first get confortable in this tempo. if there are few notes here and there in this slow tempo, don't even try faster (if you wanna play this etude properly one day)

could you tell how did you work on this etude? any special methods like excercises, etc.? a while ago i used some excercises and they really helped me
Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline pedroarvy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:56:48 AM
A noble attempt and ah' can feel where ya' are comin' fum.

Can ya' play dis piece hands separately t'speed? If not, dere be no point practisin' it hands togeder.  Ah be baaad... If ya' don’t know where ah' am comin' fum, ah' suggest ya' eyeball Chang’s fantastic free scribblin' on piano practice? You's kin waaay download it here https://www.touchrelief.com/piano.htm.  What it is, Mama! Alternatively, ya' kin practice it fo' some millenium slowly and maybe one day it gots'ta get t'speed.

Offline faustsaccomplice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 05:22:15 AM
Everybody here is so nice to each other.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:51:57 AM
Alternatively, ya' kin practice it fo' some millenium slowly and maybe one day it gots'ta get t'speed.

Or perhaps a combination of da two ways. :)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline pedroarvy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 05:55:21 AM
No, ah' aint suggestin' some combinashun uh de two ways. Changs way be de way man.  'S coo', bro. If ya' aint checked dat scribblin' out, gots' some look, it may become yo' new religion.  'S coo', bro.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 08:14:28 AM
could you tell how did you work on this etude? any special methods like excercises, etc.? a while ago i used some excercises and they really helped me

You sound like a piano teacher, well no secret formula just remember starting very very slowly hands together, now at this current tempo as a warm-up. Anyway what excercisee did you have in mind for this etude.

Yes pedroavry i hvae read C C changs book, its a good start. Thankd guys for your comments. 8)

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 12:47:21 PM
  You sound like a piano teacher, well no secret formula just remember starting very very slowly hands together, now at this current tempo as a warm-up. Anyway what excercisee did you have in mind for this etude.

me as piano teacher? hahaha. anyway, those 'excercises' are given by one really good teacher, i think if you did 8 month them, you'd play faster and clearer. at least that's my experience.
i don't have time now but i can write them down for you

have fun  ;D
Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 06:47:16 PM
Dear Zheer. I enjoy your recondings very much, and you seem to always give constructive criticism in this forum. I will tell you what happened to me, when I was studing with CC´s book. It gave me the impression, that using that kind of technique I could play anything at all. So I pick up very dificult pieces. (above my level) At the end I realised I was playing at tempo, but realy uneven end completely out of control. And I figured out that it was hapening virtualy in every piece I was playing. Total uneveness. I quit using that book and got a very good teacher, and started playing very delibarately and slowly, to atain eveness. Now, my stuff is starting to look something like music, instead of a train crash ;D or something, if you know what I´m talking about.... That´s my experience. Not that CC´s book is not good or something, but sometimes one need a diferent aproach.

Best
piano121

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 08:33:14 AM
Dear Zheer. I enjoy your recondings very much, and you seem to always give constructive criticism in this forum. I will tell you what happened to me, when I was studing with CC´s book.

Thanks that makes me happy. ;)

CC's book has vey intresting and well thought-out facts, though obviously not the best way of learning the piano, so am glad that you found a good teacher, i happend to watch a very good documetary on G.Gould, he says that it should only take half an hour to learn haw to play the piano, but a life time to learn haw to play music on the piano ( something on those lines anyway). Good luck with your piano lessons. 8)

Offline jamie_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 11:58:02 AM
Hey, I don't know if it was the recording, your playing, or my crappy headphones that are 10 years old that I got free with an old tape recorder plugged into my cheapo faulty sub woofer plugged into a wrong connection on my computer but I could barely hear the right hand, no where near performing level yet (obviously). But it wasn't bad. As other people have said you need to make it more clearer and speed it up, your left hand is good.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 02:10:53 PM
Hey, I don't know if it was the recording, your playing, or my crappy headphones that are 10  your left hand is good.

I vill just play the LH from now on. :-[

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 02:46:46 PM

I vill just play the LH from now on. :-[
Rather the RH I guess.
With more speed and power.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 12:14:14 PM
Hi. well, i can say that you have a good base for expanding on the piece. What you can do now, is practice without the pedal. Break up the piece into sections, maybe a page, maybe a few lines, its up to you. Make sure you can play all these sections through consistently at comfortable pace. speed them and then at a medium speed for the piece, put the hands together. The practice without pedal is extremely important, it really helps hear any uneveness and is also more difficult to execute. At the same time, vary between pedal and non-pedal practice. Whilst working on the pedalling, really listen out for the blurring of the notes. Last point would be to really work on bringing that right hand out (practicing without pedal will help this). Otherwise, you have a great base there for working on the piece, and it was very lyrical. Hope to hear this again some time.

Gruff

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 01:28:04 PM
  Thanks Gruff for your comments,as you know this Etude is 6 pages of continious arppegios, i think some people can play it effortlessly am not one of those , anyway am glad you found it lyrical.  :)

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 03:44:59 PM
i do know this, but you can learn to be one of those.

Gruff
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert