Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Barber - Ballade, Op. 46  (Read 8195 times)

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Barber - Ballade, Op. 46
on: August 23, 2006, 06:22:48 PM
Taken from the Colburn Honors Piano Seminar/Masterclass class recital in May 2006.

Recording courtesy of Jre58591 (sitting in the audience with a voice-recorder in his pocket).

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Re: Barber - Ballade, Op. 46
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:24:38 PM
sorry guys, the recording quality is a bit on the bad side. great playing nonetheless.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:51:36 PM
great playing

Yes! You convey the dark mood of this piece very well and the middle agitato section is great, really sharp and angry. After that it seems repetitive but I don't think that has anything to do with you, it's the piece. I'm not listening with the score, maybe there's something you could do to add variety but this is fine as is it. Excellent.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 10:36:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Arensky. As far as the piece is concerned, the ballade is written in strict ABA form, with the recapitulation being an exact replica of the exposition.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 08:20:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Arensky. As far as the piece is concerned, the ballade is written in strict ABA form, with the recapitulation being an exact replica of the exposition.

Oh yeah, uh, of course I knew that!   ;D ;)

:-[

Seriously when I listened to this before it was not focused listening, my first comments are a general first impression. I saw this cool departure from "normal" repertoire in the Audition Room and one I've played through in depth several times and plan to program with Barber's Nocturne on an American music concert in about a year or  so. Anyway here's a more detailed post.

On the first page Barber puts breath marks in the melody. I feel you play the chords before these a bit too short, it sbould be restless yes but not abrupt. the little sixteenth notes in m.4 should be faster imo, making a coloristic impressionistic effect. The sostenuto measure that follows this could be softer, as well as more sostenuto. I think the grace notes in m.7 should be quicker, more like grace notes. You play them melodically, which is OK, I feel them differently. Your build up to the cadenza at the bottom of the page is awesome with good timing and intensity. The cadenza is ripping.  8) You differentiate betwwen marcato, singing and distant very well. At the bottom of the second page where the melody has added 16th notes this could be better shaped so as to convey the flowing feeling, this new figure provides a link into the allargando and fade out, which are excellent.

Allegro con fuocco is great but you let the emotion play you instead of playing the emotion, which leads to some control/clarity issues, such as p. 3 mm. 4-10 and p.4 mm. 1, and mm. 4-5. Your subito mf and mp's are very well done though, the mood and feeling change abruptly from fury to sensitivity. It's great. At the big climax that starts at the last measure on page 3, the low Eb octave should be FF  too, why not? The shaping you do there (starting softer) cheats me of what should be a full impact explosion. In fact more restraint (just a little) on the preceeding page would make this climax on p.3 an unforgettable experience for an audience.

The rest of the piece is a verbatim repeat of the first part ( as you pointed out) and you play it exactly the same way. True the markings are the same but somehow it should be different. Hard to explain without demonstrating, but I think you know what I mean. Paerhaps a different tone color, or something.

This is great playing. My final comment is to advise you to channel and communicate the emotions instead of being the emotion. You do this in the lyrical parts (which could be more detailed and introspective imo) but you let the fury take you over. Work at this, it will bring your playing to a higher level.

Thanks for sharing this. I've enjoyed it, the first recording of this work that I've heard.

8)

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 08:22:23 PM
I re-uploaded the file using the attachment function.

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 08:48:49 PM
nice playing
but I am not in the place to give comment or criticize
anyway waiting for better quality version  8)
respect
Piano = my life
My life = piano
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert