Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Lecuona - Ante El Escorial  (Read 6868 times)

Offline bachmaninov

• PS Silver Member
Lecuona - Ante El Escorial
on: September 27, 2006, 04:25:47 AM
Here is an unedited recording of what I plan on playing as my 20th century work for New England and Manhattan Conservatories! Enjoy!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Lecuona - Ante El Escorial
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:08:57 PM
I like your playing very much, it sounds very musically and rich. Sometimes a bit hard, but that might be the piano's fault. I hope you get in. If not they don't know what they're missing ;)

greetings and good luck!

pianowolfi

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 03:10:48 PM
Very nice playing despite the piano quality.

What do you think Lecuona was saying about the Escorial?  It is not a title I would have guessed would go with this piece.  Are there liner notes for the piece in your music?  The A section seems to be largely based on Debussy's Sunken Cathedral prelude, with the 'large scope' sound, very broad chords on top of a pedal note.  I like the small touches of Spanish flavor in the B section.

Good job introducing a lesser-known composer/work and good luck with the auditions.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 06:28:50 PM
  Very nice, is this piece in A minor. No sorry its B flat minor.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 03:24:21 AM
Hi bachmaninov,

First time I had ever heard this piece.  You play it very well!  Best of luck in getting into either NECM or Manhattan. 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 03:17:20 PM
Bach,
Lovely performance.  I agree it's a little dry, though.  Not sure if it's you or the piano.  I think Lecuona wanted a little more of an impressionistic feeling to it, since it's a piece literally representing feelings (impressions).

What do you think Lecuona was saying about the Escorial?

Lecuona's 'Ante' is one of his most serious and introspective pieces (remember, he's been called the "Cuban Gershwin," and most of his stuff is very rhythmic, upbeat, and dance-like). 

Having played the Ante before, I tried to convey the first impression that anyone would get the first time they visit el Monasterio de San Lorenzo del Escorial.  Felipe II built the monastery in after beating the French in a battle in the 1500s as a way of honoring God's assistance.  Many kings of spain are buried in its pantheon in the crpyt. 

From the outside, El Escorial is huge and dominant and towering and cold.
From the inside, El Escorial is elaborate and warm (lots of gold) and regal and inviting.

So this is what I feel Lecuona conveys:  The opening of 'Ante' is the towering grandeur of the outside of El Escorial.  Cold, dominant, grand.  The middle part of 'Ante' is once you've entered the basilica/monastery - - - romantic and sweeping and wonderful.  The closing of the 'Ante' represents your departure - - - back to the outside (i.e. the opening of the piece).
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline bachmaninov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 03:15:37 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

And yes the piano is very bright.

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:03:30 AM
Interesting, Shasta, thanks.  Then it is his experience of entering and exiting the cathedral physically, which accounts for the ABA form.  I still believe it could be a response to Debussy's prelude as well.

Offline beatrizboizan

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 01:28:49 PM
:) Hi everyone!! :)

I very much enjoyed reading this discussion which I just discovered on the web, rather late...hahaha...  ;)

I'm Beatriz Boizán, Cuban-Canadian pianist and I wish to share my live version of this marvelous composition.

I just joined this lovely community and I simply wanted to greet you all!!!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 01:41:30 PM
:) Hi everyone!! :)

I very much enjoyed reading this discussion which I just discovered on the web, rather late...hahaha...  ;)

I'm Beatriz Boizán, Cuban-Canadian pianist and I wish to share my live version of this marvelous composition.

I just joined this lovely community and I simply wanted to greet you all!!!
this is as fine an interpretation as any I have ever heard. It is one of Lecuona's finest pieces and you play it with purpose and poise.

I applaud this recording, it really is that good. Thank you for sharing. Will you be playing San Francisco El Grande next or sometime soon perhaps? I love that piece just about as much as this one....

Again welcome, I look forward to your contributions, also, your playing is superb, it deserves its own post vs a reply to another  ;) 8)

Offline beatrizboizan

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:03:01 PM
 ;):) Oh, thanks very much, visitor!!! :))) I'm truly moved by your kind words. I look forward to sharing with you and others. And yes, I also play Lecuona's San Francisco el Grande...one of these days, I'll surprise you with the video footage of it...hahaha...we stay in touch, ok?  You are a sweetheart!!!  :)

Offline beatrizboizan

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 11:05:35 PM
this is as fine an interpretation as any I have ever heard. It is one of Lecuona's finest pieces and you play it with purpose and poise.

I applaud this recording, it really is that good. Thank you for sharing. Will you be playing San Francisco El Grande next or sometime soon perhaps? I love that piece just about as much as this one....

Again welcome, I look forward to your contributions, also, your playing is superb, it deserves its own post vs a reply to another  ;) 8)

;) Oh, thanks very much, visitor!!!  :))) I'm truly moved by your kind words. I look forward to sharing with you and others. And yes, I also play Lecuona's San Francisco el Grande...one of these days, I'll surprise you with the video footage of it...hahaha...we stay in touch, ok?  You are a sweetheart!!!   :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert