Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Scarlatti K27 in B minor  (Read 3567 times)

Offline journeyyourmind

• PS Silver Member
Scarlatti K27 in B minor
on: October 01, 2006, 11:37:57 AM
From the same day I recorded the black keys, hence the same audio quality besides maybe a different mic position.

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Offline gonzalo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scarlatti K27 in B minor
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 12:25:22 PM
From the same day I recorded the black keys, hence the same audio quality besides maybe a different mic position.

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.
Totally metronomical. :(

Take care,
Gonzalo
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 02:42:41 PM
Totally metronomical. :(

Take care,
Gonzalo

unfortunately yes, that must be one of the most metronomical performances i have ever heard. i dont hear any phrasing, no colours, wich is a shame cause you clearly have the technique to make it happen.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline journeyyourmind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 04:48:59 PM
Yes, well thanks for reassuring me on my technique, but I definitely would have to agree that it is missing those elements you say. Although I would really also like to say that I don't usually leave out those elements(and I'm sure my teacher would frown too! :p), I think it had to do with how nervous I was for a good portion of the recordings. I'll try to get another recording up of this somehow soon. And thanks for all the feedback. 

Offline lava

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 07:03:17 PM
It's quite good!

Think you could make more difference between the forte and piano parts. My edition has marks for that, maybe they lack in yours?

The speed is up to you, but it can be played a bit slower too so you can add more expression.

Offline rafant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 05:54:42 PM
Your technical achievement deserves admiration, but I'm afraid that my ears don´t reach to appreciate the notes played at such a speed. It's my fault of course, nevertheless  I also prefer to slow down the tempo in favour of expressivity.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 05:11:42 PM
i LOVE the speed.  i guess everyone has their preferences.  now, maybe a little more with the dynamics?  it takes time to get everything down.  what helped me was to record myself playing it a bit slower.  i actually record three times.  each time a bit faster until the final speed that i am aiming for.  then, i play with the recording.  i work on #1 memory #2 interpretation #3 then speed, too.

Offline ce nedra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 08:04:03 PM
If you compare music to a cup of coffee: you have all the ingredients like sugar and coffee etc, but the water is what holds it together. The "elements" as you call it, cant just be left out. The emotion, soul and dynamics of music is the water that holds it together. Without the water all you have is coffee powder: meaningless, tasteless, dry.

Yes, all your ingredients are there, (the notes etc), now make them sound like something. Give it some flavour. Put it together now.

And put the metronome away. Yes, metronome practise is good, but not to the point that you start sounding like one.

Let me know if my coffee theory is unclear. I will try to rephrase.

All the best.

CN
This forum is like a bad cigarette...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert