Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Live Improv - (2 pianos 4 hands) September 29, 2006  (Read 3037 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Live Improv - (2 pianos 4 hands) September 29, 2006
on: October 21, 2006, 08:14:11 PM
Here's a live improv that I took part in.  The university now has new music facilities.  This was in one of the large practice rooms.  I so much miss the old recital hall (which has been torn down for something else) and the gorgeous pair of Kawai EX concert grands.  The old hall was just right for such evenings of improvsed dance and music. 

Due to the nature of the instrument setup within the room.  The left side came out heavier than the right in the recording. 

Live Improv - (2 pianos 4 hands) September 29, 2006
Mics: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Pianos: pair of Yamaha C7
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Live Improv - (2 pianos 4 hands) September 29, 2006
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 09:14:58 PM
are you on drugs too?  just kidding.  wow.  you have fast fingers. 

new music facilities?  are you at west chester?  the new music building was supposed to open fall 2006.  i am assuming it has.  are you someone i know?  dear dear me.  i have no money.  and, yet despite a new couch - i have a need to play one of those new steinways.  wait - you're playing a yamaha C7.  hmm.  well, exactly where are you? 

the old recital hall with the kawaii's?   

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: Live Improv - (2 pianos 4 hands) September 29, 2006
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 04:58:11 AM
That was pretty intense, man. I do like to dabble in this style on occasion, I haven't uploaded any of it though. It seems like your university is a fertile ground for improvisation, I wish I could find people with whom to have group improvisation! (non jazz of course...if I hear autumn leaves one more time my head will explode).  My favorite things by you have been...well I can't remember the exact names, but I remember really enjoying a nocturne by you, I found it really melodic despite having a rather disjunct melody, and I think a sonata movement...and several other shorter pieces.  I suppose you'd consider those to err on the traditional side since they were relatively conservative in terms of motivic material, etc. etc?  Anyway I always enjoy your stuff, sometimes just marvelling at how over the top you can be and still be such a sane person. haha

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert