Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Schubert- Impromptu Op.90 No.2  (Read 9928 times)

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Schubert- Impromptu Op.90 No.2
on: December 04, 2006, 08:07:15 AM
I tried to record this piece without any mistake before post it here, but I couldn't  >:(
Any constructive advice/ comment are welcome. 

Thanks.

Offline amitmis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert- Impromptu Op.90 No.2
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:28:10 AM
I tried to record this piece without any mistake before post it here, but I couldn't  >:(
Any constructive advice/ comment are welcome. 

Thanks.

Is this played on a piano???

Anyway - I enjoyed listening to it.

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:33:26 AM
Thanks for enjoying it !  :)
Yes, it's  played on piano.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 01:22:03 PM
Hi Faj,

I´m working on this piece right now. I like very much you recording, you did the dinamics very well specially in the first section. Your tempo is also very good. As a matter of personal preference, I would do that second part on the first section, wey more pp, I know several interpreters, don´t do it, but IMO, it makes a beatiful contrast with the rest of the music, preparing for the Ben Marcato section.

I love the ending scale of the first section, on the tird to end bar. Just perfect! :D

About the second section (marcato), on the 23rd and 27th bar, the mini scales tha goes on the right hand, along with the 5th finger holding the upper note, you seem to get in trouble at the first time, but on the second time, you did it fine. I would like to know wich fingering are you using on that.

About the re exposition, I notice you rushed a little bit, and the notes got a little more  uneven. did your fingers got tired?  or just anxious to finish the piece?  ;)

The Coda is very nice, maibe latter you may add some "extra fire" on the last bars, when schubert calls for accelerando, It´s preety dificult doing that, I know, because I´m tryng it right now!! ;D

After all a very good recording, I think with a little more time you will get it even better.

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 03:04:06 AM
Hi piano121,
What a wise comment and advice !

I agree with you the 2nd part of 1st section should be played more pp. But I just still lack of technical stability there and failed to play pp, avoiding the risk of missing notes. I played it on an upright anyway ..

The mini scale at 2nd section, I played 123432121.  123132121 didn't work well for me.

Re exposition, nope I never tired physically playing this piece even play it many times in row, but mentally yes because I was  afraid of wrong note etc .. and .. you know ... still couldn't eliminate them.

Coda, once again I fully agree with you and tried to, but .... you heard mistakes there .... 

Well, still need some times to make it perfect ... that's why I love piano ... always a lot of things to learn/ improve :)

Btw, what about the Ben marcato section? Do you have the same Idea with me or you have another good idea of interpretation?

Thanks a lot ! and best wishes for your working on this piece. 

Oh I forgot ! ... sorry for my bad english ..

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 04:16:14 PM
Hi, Faj

As I said, i like it very much. About the Marcato section, I like it the way it is, you play very well. Only, on the second time the main theme apears, I personaly prefer to do it piano and the descending scale tha goes before it, Forte, creating a nice contrast, and making it diferent than the first time. You are doing the oposite here, doing the scale piano and starting the theme forte. But it´s your choise. Overall, it´s very good, I believe it will get even better, with some more atention to melody, a little more rubato and pedaling. All this stuff you will add with time.

You are a very good pianist, I listened to your version of Polonaise Heroic, it´s pretty amazing. You got lots of speed! I´m curious on how long (and how intensely) are you studing piano? I´m curious to know also, if you have played the polonaise before or after your learnt the impromptu? I mean, the polonaise seems much more dificult than the impromptu to me, I never dared touching that score, but it seems fairly dificult to me, what you think?

best, looking forward for more recordings

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 02:42:04 AM
Thanks again for your advice and compliment. I also enjoyed listening your Mozart  ;)

I studied piano since 5 for more than 17 years.
After that, I'm a self learner, so I'm free to choose whatever piece I wanted to learn.
Piano wasn't my 1st life until about 6 months ago. Now I'm  fully teaching piano. 
I start learned Heroic some years ago for abt 3 weeks (only learn), then play/polish it on and off (abt 10% on, 90% off) until now.
As for impromptu, I learned it abt 7 months ago for about 1 week (only learn) then ... yes, played it on and off .
During off period, I  learn or polish another pieces.

Play Heroic and this impromptu is completely different things.
To play Heroic, we have to coordinate the whole part of our body very well , keep everything "linear" and efficient. Also need a well trained relaxation technique while playing as well as endurance.
But for finger work, I personally think this Schubert impromptu is need more carefulness for each note.
If you want advice from me to learn Heroic, never2 be scared with any piece. But keep everything well programmed and prepared. So first you have to know what is needed there.

By the way piano121, get back to the topic, since you also learning this piece, would highly appreciate if you have time to hear my earlier recording of this piece. At the beginning it less evenness and not so smooth, but as a whole, I begin to think it's more lively and more connected each of the section. Also mistakes are not so disturbing.
But what do you think?

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 01:05:57 PM
It´s quite good. Indeed the earlier version has some extra expressiveness, comparing with the latter one. However on the latter version you have way more control and evenness on the notes, specialy the fast scale sections. Maibe you might do a 3rd recording bringing the best of these two versions togeter! ;) It´s impressive how you got the hole piece with only a very few mistakes, even in an early recording.

Anyway, you did a great job at tha impromptu, as well as the polonaise. And you are a much better pianist that I am, it took me about 4 to 5 weeks to completely learn the impromptu, and then I´m working on polishing it for about 4 months... still need some work to get it all right. Hopefully I will learn pieces faster as time comes, I already experienced it with Bach inventions, spending aobut 4 weeks to learn 1 invention 1 year ago (when I got back to study piano) while now, learning 2 inventions in about 2 weeks.

thanks for your advice, I´m looking forward for your stuff.

btw, thanks about the mozart. Hope you get to listen to my Schubert when I post it in the future.

piano121

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 12:37:59 AM
Hi, Sorry for not being here some time.
Thanks a lot to hear that. For the 3rd recording, I'll leave it to you   :)

Yes you'll learn faster as time comes because  you'll get more experience in learning and learned techniques are compatible to be used to other piece that require the same so polishing will also faster.
But to create a fine art  .... that's forever difficult ... also need a very good piano anyway.

Once again, thanks a lot  for your kind comment / advice.
I do want to listen to your recording of this Schubert when you're ready.
Good luck and I believe you can do it much better then me.

Best Regards,
Faj

P.S .. Sorry for my bad2 English
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert