Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata No. 5 in C minor, Op. 10 , No. 1- Mvmt. I  (Read 4840 times)

Offline ryan2189

• PS Silver Member
Hello

This was my first recording session. I performed this piece as well as Ginastera's second Danza Argentina and Bach's P&F in D minor, Bk. II. I think I will upload those soon too. There are some flubs, but I was using this recording to prove my ability to the various colleges that I am applying to. As always, I would love to hear any comments or suggestions. I am performing this piece again in a recital in January.

Offline ryan2189

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata No. 5 in C minor, Op. 10 , No. 1- Mvmt. I
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:10:49 PM
Could anyone relate any experiences, diffculties, or problems they had when playing this piece?

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 08:53:54 PM
Hi ryan,

While have have played several Beethoven sonatas, I have not played No. 5, so just enjoyed listening to your performance, and believe you made a very good account of it.  This sonata requires a solid technique and musicality, and you exhibited both.  Your playing revealed varied touches and tonal colors, close attention to rhythm, fluidity, fine dynamic control, an even and confident articulation, sensible and sensitive pedaling in this early period sonata, and good integration of the various musical ideas.  I believe that Beethoven's sonatas are a legacy of master classes in a way, and obviously you learned a lot from this one.   I believe that if you could play this for Beethoven, he would be quite pleased with your rendition, and that's the ultimate test.  Thanks for posting it here!   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 12:43:07 PM
I Agree with Rachfan. It´s well done. good artidulation and dinamics as well. this sonata being classical, demands a very clear rendition, as you did. I just think as an improvement you might think in evennes, to make the notes even more clear and controled. Good work overall, thanks for posting that!

Offline ryan2189

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 10:38:01 PM
Thank you. A person's own opinion about their work never really means much to that person, but when they hear it from someone else, it really gives them confidence. Thanks for the great feedback. I will be working on the piece even more until my recital at the end of January, lots of slow practice to make sure everything is ingrained correctly. I hope that evenness will come out even more as a result of that.  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert