Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Improvisation "Mack The Knife And Me" (musical joke)  (Read 8066 times)

Offline vladimirdounin

• PS Silver Member
Improvisation "Mack The Knife And Me" (musical joke)
on: December 29, 2006, 02:32:32 PM
I do not want to look too old and too serious here. This nice, gorgeous and extremely attractive lady (that I have encountered recently) likes contacts with the men very much. However, there is some problem: in spite of all men's expectations she always only puts her knife into them. This is the plot of my musical story.

Vladimir Dounin 

Offline berrt

Re: Improvisation "Mack The Knife And Me" (musical joke)
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 06:14:21 PM
i do not understand your "left-right"-theory, vlad (and probably never will).

But (again) it shows you are a GREAT improviser!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing this.

B.

Offline allthumbs

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:11:38 PM
I really enjoyed your improvisation. Nice arrangement.

Thanks for sharing it.

All the best

allthumbs
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline mwhite

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:18:26 PM
Thank you very much for bringing some different music to the Audition Room.  I love opera on piano, (how about Puccini?),  and also  transcriptions of other orchestral works like Strauss Waltzes.
Mike White

Offline vladimirdounin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 06:27:13 AM
i do not understand your "left-right"-theory, vlad (and probably never will).

But (again) it shows you are a GREAT improviser!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing this.

B.

Dear Berrt,

Do you remember Goethe's "Faust": "The theory is dry, my friend. However, the tree of life is green for ever!" Nobody, including myself needs these L/R and all the rest theories till the moment, when you bumped into certain obstacle in your work, in our play (No 1 Russian Piano teacher H. Neuhaus always sang to his students this quote frome "Queen Of The Spades": "What is our life? It is a play!" - Final aria of Hermann). If you do not feel any resistance in your work - go ahead, forget about theories.

Try to do PRACTICALLY the same with any of your songs that I did on my "one - sided recordings": simply replace ALL your accents with their "mirrored reflections". (Do you know how great is look of the house with mirrors and how poor it is without any of them on the wall). Not for ever, just for a few times, for a change. It will give you the greatest opportunity of choice. Instead of unreasonable, suggested by our evil-wishers denial you will be always able to take fully INFORMED DECISIONS about the appropriate Left or Right accentuations in each of your phrases in the future.

Play in any group of notes (four eights or sixteenth, bar, phrase etc) the very first SLIGHTLY (read my FUR ELISE) softened and the last one SLIGHTLY stressed. That's all. It is so simple! And you will be amazed: how fresh and new for yourself will be any of your old pieces.

To encourage you and all the others to try this way, I pasted here below a real quote from the recent letter of my "distant student" from Australia (I never met her in real yet).

Re:
Standard HeaderHide Pane
Eleanor Sheldxxx <xxxxbird_22@hotmail.com>
ViewSaturday, September 16, 2006 8:24:45 PM

Thank you so much for sending me those. I've just been playing with the numbers - and it has an effect like magic on the overall sound when that stressing is applied. It's beautiful.
                                                                                                        Eleanor

Be positive and logical: why not to look at the reflection? Why your reflection must look necessary worse than yourself? Even more, many of expensive, specially mastered  mirrors make your look better than "original you".
(These mirrors make you more high and slim, enhance the colour of your skin etc. It gives you (that is especially important for each lady) confidence that eventually is stronger and works well, better  than any beauty.

Good Luck!

Vladimir Dounin

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 08:52:27 PM
Nice playing, Vladimir.  Creative, super dance-like, and you get quite a nice sound of the piano. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Out of curiosity, do you quote from "Don't get Around Much Anymore" (i.e., "missed the Saturday dance...") at around 0:25? If so, brilliant! If not, cool coincidence.  ;D

Offline vladimirdounin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 08:28:05 AM
Nice playing, Vladimir.  Creative, super dance-like, and you get quite a nice sound of the piano. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Out of curiosity, do you quote from "Don't get Around Much Anymore" (i.e., "missed the Saturday dance...") at around 0:25? If so, brilliant! If not, cool coincidence.  ;D

I definitely had seen this title of the song many years ago but I am not sure that I even played it ever. Do you mean that I quoted some particular phrase of this song? At least, I did not realize this.

Vladimir Dounin

Offline gtomas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 01:48:29 PM
oh my god. Mack the knife is ony of my favorite songs. I am so happy to find it here. I am very new to classical music and to music lessons. I started taking lessons so i could play pieces like these in the future. i am very ecstatic that you can actually improvise songs by learning classical music. sorry for the ignorance. (ialways thought you could but to see or rather hear it first hand).

great one

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 01:15:29 AM
Great playing!  That's probably the best piano version of the song I've ever heard. 

Was the piano a Steinway D or Baldwin SD10?
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert