Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Improv - January 7, 2007 #1  (Read 2861 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Improv - January 7, 2007 #1
on: January 07, 2007, 01:28:53 PM
Seeing all these recent contributions to improvisation has inspired me record some new ones. 

I didn't really like this when I first recorded it, but after listening to it again a couple times it grew on me. 

Mics: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C3

Enjoy!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improv - January 7, 2007 #1
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:31:21 PM
Cool. 8) How do you make this pizzicato sound at 2.10? Very clear and sophisticated playing with many dynamic nuances!  Very good build-up towards the climax at the end!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improv - January 7, 2007 #1
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 06:26:02 AM
Thanks for listening. 

The sound at 2:10 is made by muting the string with the fleshy part of the finger of one hand, while playing the key with the other hand.  I used the part of the string in between the tuning pins and the dampers.  Muting the string at different points in its length produces different sounds.   
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert