Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Schubert: Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3  (Read 2985 times)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Schubert: Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3
on: February 12, 2007, 08:25:16 PM
Here is my first non-Liszt recording for the forum.  Any comments or suggestions are welcome.  Hope you enjoy it!

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert: Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 02:22:17 AM
I enjoyed it! It's such a beautiful piece. I'd try to give the melody a bit more room to breathe -- in some places it's nice, but overall the accompaying sextoles sound a tiny bit too clock-like to me. And also, I'd try to tone them down a bit and play them as soft and smooth as possible so that the bass and the melody are above this carpet of sound. With some pianos it's simply not possible to get this effect, I guess. You shape the melody nicely. Sometimes you support the crescendi and diminuendi by the sextoles, sometimes it could be a bit more coordinated (i.e. when getting louder in the melody also get a bit more intense in the accompaniment). With such an accompaniment, the piano becomes a bit like a violin in that the illusion can be given that the tone of the melody changes even between the melody notes, I hope it's clear what I mean. The ending is also nice, but the short tenor motifs in the fifth and fourth bar from the end could maybe be a bit softer. But all these are minor issues for really polishing the piece, and already in the present state it was a very enjoyable performance!

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:37:27 AM
i like hearing men play schubert.  it's always more powerful - and actually probably the way schubert was intending it.  i really like it.  it has a flow to it and even though on the little stuff, dabbler is right maybe in the mid-section about the tenor being a bit loud - i like it towards the end.  the overall feeling one gets is that schubert is right there.  you play really evenly - and beautifully.  if i only had one crit - it would be the last note.  sometimes the pedal doesn't clear extraneous notes (besides the ones you want) even though you mean it to.  i'd clear most of it before hitting the last note.

Offline rafant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 08:10:29 PM
Very enjoyable, thank you. Interesting that new sonorities. Congratulations.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert