Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: prelude n jazz  (Read 3056 times)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
prelude n jazz
on: March 18, 2007, 07:30:23 PM
alistair has sparked something in me to reveal a few compositions.  they are not fancy - but just little stuff i've composed over the years.  this one is called prelude n jazz.  i wrote it after feeling a bit blue about losing my grandmother and was writing for myself - but the tsunami hit a little while afterwards.

henrah may relate to the words of this 'jazz' song.  i wrote it in the fall/winter when the leaves had fallen and were under the trees.

song:
'do you see the colors that are underneath the trees?  could they be waiting for me to look and see and think of all the people that have passed from here to there? (as this word 'there' ends - another group sings:) 'quietly they fall under the tree of time that fades into the colors of a memory that brings back - colors of a life well-lived and memories so clear.  real as red and yellow, orange - wish that you were here...the colors that have fallen now are making a new tree - and with the passing of another year  you'll soon come back and Be (on the word 'be' - another chorus starts) do you see the colors that have turned to brown and fallen how they turn to springtime blooms - colors of a brighter day to come - when all the children sing and friends reunite with God and then - love will be restored forever more.'

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: prelude n jazz
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 07:56:21 PM
this one was inspired by beethoven's ode to joy - but i changed it a bit.  here are the words:

'great and marvellous - great and marvellous - are Thy works O Lord God.  Great and marvellous - great and marvellous - are Thy works Al-migh-ty.  righteous and true are Thy ways, righteous and true, Thou king of the nations.  (interlude)  Who will not fear O Lord, Glorify Thy name - for you alone are Holy.' 

then - it ends abruptly - due to lack of inspiration.  sometimes these compositions take years to finish. 

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 08:42:22 AM
I like that prelude very much, Susan; some of the chords and changes are beautiful. I think you should do more of this sort of thing.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:22:22 PM
thanks, ted!  i wrote something else awhile ago entitled 'around the world in 12-tones' - (every key on the piano is hit).  the 12 tones are not tone rows or anything - just the 12 chromatic steps, and not in that order.  just calling the 12 notes of the chromatic scale my '12-tones.'   will try to record when the piano/computer are set up again.

each section has a name:  computer talk (booting up),  google search, yahooing, checking e-mail, unwanted spam, e-bay, e-file taxes, computer freeze.  this is where it ends and i haven't yet hill aLL the keys, but pretty close. 

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:39:56 PM
I like that prelude very much, Susan; some of the chords and changes are beautiful. I think you should do more of this sort of thing.

I agree.  :)

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline becca91

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 05:47:17 PM
I really enjoyed listening to the prelude, as well as 'great and marvelous'. Good job - and thanks for posting them! .......................

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 05:49:33 PM
thanks for the kind comments.  all my pieces tend to be on the short side.  i think i need a composition class.  anyways.  it's fun.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 02:43:43 PM
Hi. īThey are booth quite nice. Specialy Great and Marvelous. Itīs realy inspiring, and divine. Iīm shure you will finish it soon. great job.

I have also worked on some composition on my early years. Itīs quite dificult, now I realise that. When you are a begginer itīs all just  fun, to come up with the newest sonata in beethovenīs stile, Then write it down on "Encore" (because you canīt play it either)... then you grow 10 years older and realise that it was such a crap. But so much fun! hahaha.... I still work on some improvisations now, I will probably share it with you people some time.

Anyway, You do it pretty nice. Keep those compositons coming. I hope to listen to the ending of Great and Marv.

See you

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 01:13:12 AM
ok.  you're motivating me to finish this and possibly write an accompaniment.  it's for satb choir with piano accompaniment. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert