Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin prelude c-sharp minor, op.45  (Read 4432 times)

Offline joeplaysthepiano

• PS Silver Member
Chopin prelude c-sharp minor, op.45
on: March 28, 2007, 08:02:57 PM
I had a rare opportunity to record this piece on a very nice piano.  I just wanted to hear some comments because while I do have the notes down, I think it's still missing something (the effect that makes everyone want to cry).  Maybe I'm overly critical, maybe not critical enough, I don't know.  Tell me what you think!

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin prelude c-sharp minor, op.45
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 02:30:26 PM
Good work! Almost there but try to work on the following:

1. Bring out the RH cantabile melody a bit more and make it as legato as possible. Work on the balance between the hands. Try not to miss out quaver notes in the LH and keep them even in tone and duration.
2. The rubato is almost but not quite there. Be a little bit more flexible. Get someone to advise you on how to improve this. One passage to work on would be the single line a few bars before the recap of the theme.
3. Think of the longer line rather than phrase by phrase.
4. In the more climactic passages, the RH is a bit harsh and the tempo tends to rush slightly too much.
5. At the start, the opening passage seems a little choppy - is it the recording or is it the pedalling that is the cause?

Well done!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♫ LTCL Piano Performance
♫ ABRSM Grade 8 Theory of Music (Distinction)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 03:33:45 PM
everyone says 'don't play with metronome' - but what is happening here (to add to the above comments) is that you are playing sometimes metronomically, and sometimes not.  this can be confusing to stop and start phrases with too much pause.

i would do the WHOLE thing at one metronomic tempo to get used to being ABLE to play it without stopping - and then, when you go to speeding and slowing - start getting into the understanding of the physics of motion.  how things gradually slow or speed.  kinetic balls.  something like that.  watch things that speed and slow.   kites.  water projected from fountains at different heights and speeds.  motion period. 

you have some really good sound.  btw, the last chords were awesome in their bass sound, too.  i rarely hear last chords with just the right amount of bass!

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:48:41 PM
...awww one of my favourite works by Chopin!!!

everyone says 'don't play with metronome' - but what is happening here (to add to the above comments) is that you are playing sometimes metronomically, and sometimes not. this can be confusing to stop and start phrases with too much pause.

...my personal rule of thumb is, if the rhythm is as you describe, the performer either is an eccentric/brilliant musician or copies a recording...what I have personally encountered most of the time is the latter [IMO the start of the C# minor section near the beginning reminds me of how Idil Biret plays in the Naxos recording]

Not that this is important anyway. I actually quite like what you (joe???) have done in this respect. Plus, I think that you have quite a good sense of how this piece should be played. You have quite a good sense of Cantabile where required. The 2 climactic moments are wonderful.

I personally suggest that you find out, decide and realise the different colours of different harmonies as they change. For example, from the start of the C# minor section onwards, there are quite a lot of sections where a major key (e.g. first instance = B major) is followed immediately by a minor key (e.g. following that: B minor).

For me, I want them different. The quality and sound of the harmony is too different they just mustn't/can't/shouldn't be played the same way. Your recording [or perhaps the recording equipment?] doesn't quite capture it...yet.

Thanks for posting! ^^

Offline electrodoc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:25:17 PM
Thanks for the recording. I enjoyed it and, at the same time, agree with some of the comments above. This is the first time I have heard this prelude and you have inspired me to dig out the music and learn it. Many thanks.

Offline joeplaysthepiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:13:01 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments.  I pretty much agree with what everyone says, and I will try to make the necessary changes to make this a real tear-jerker piece.  Thanks again.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert