Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: May 25th, 26th 2007 Improvisations. Sets of miniature pieces in varying idioms.  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Here's a set of miniatures I improvised the other day. Many of them are Romantic, but others have either a modern or other kind of style.  :)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Here's a set of miniatures of a similar length to may 25th. It actually starts with a longer piece, then goes into miniatures. Unfortunately this one cuts off at the end cause my digital can only record about 10 minutes of music at a time.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
I am listening to May 25 right now :) This idea to have several small pieces, every one in it's own specific character is very interesting. I enjoy every of these and I like very much the variety. Really great stuff! :) I'll listen later to the other one.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Okay, now I am listening to the ones from May 26 :). The first piece begins in a style I personally like very much, as you surely know. There is a magic part for me from 2.30 to about 3.30! Compared to May 25 there are not so many distinct cuts between the different parts or pieces. 5.18-5.27: I like this transition and the change afterwards. As I have said elsewhere I often see pictures or imaginations in my mind when I listen to music. And, you know, the most interesting sort of picture or imagination that can appear is one that can't be compared to anything in the environment. Something that "looks" somehow as if it would be a landscape or a forest but in fact it isn't. It is something undescribable. I try to combine the "inner senses" when it comes to art, especially to music. Because after all the "whole thing" is so huge, so big that it is beyond our "normal" five senses. Isn't that wonderful? And I am searching and starving for these moments in music. You are coming very close sometimes! And, you know, I LOVE the freedom that improvisation represents to me. The non committing and original creativity that, after all, makes so much sense. The "creation out of nothing" is possible, in music, I think. Oooh and I love this part after 8.00!! it's very cool! respect for the fast repeated notes at about 9.00! 8) Lol that interrupted tragic waltz at the end :o. hmmm, mysterious.... 8)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
thanks Pianowolfi for your comments. Yes, I actually suspected you'd like that part between 2:30 and 3:30. I like that sort of atmosphere a lot, too. At the end of that passage where I play some very simple textures---that's something I'm working on. What amazes me about music is that no matter what the style, no matter  how many notes, the number of possibilities for atmosphere and expression are quite literally limitless!

You said:
"And, you know, the most interesting sort of picture or imagination that can appear is one that can't be compared to anything in the environment. Something that "looks" somehow as if it would be a landscape or a forest but in fact it isn't. It is something undescribable. I try to combine the "inner senses" when it comes to art, especially to music. Because after all the "whole thing" is so huge, so big that it is beyond our "normal" five senses. Isn't that wonderful? And I am searching and starving for these moments in music. You are coming very close sometimes!"

This is very much how I feel, also. I like those abstract responses I get from music which could ALMOST be describable images but are more something that one would experience in a dream.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert