Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: May 22nd Improvisation. "Prelude" in D major. Ends in E major.  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Here's another one, only a couple minutes long. I played it live for my girlfriend...we both had our headphones hooked up while I improvised it.  :)

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Very nice!  Would you say this is D major or E major officially?
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
It's beautiful. There's not a lot more to say, is there, but I suppose I had better try. I am noticing increased variety in your figurations. You are using many more double notes than you used to - thankfully irregular ones - the trap with using too many regular ones is that everything turns into a finger study. If you hadn't told me about the keys I wouldn't have known. Firstly, I haven't the faintest idea what I'm listening to half the time and secondly, I don't clutter up my response with useless facts.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
girlfriend... hooked up

8) respect fo this alone
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Thanks! I didn't know what key it was in either. I had to pick it out on the piano after the fact to find out. I still don't understand what a tonal center really means (except perhaps in the very local context of a single scale...for an entire piece the concept has me totally baffled. I can't remember what the tonal center was 5 minutes ago when listening to a piece. maybe not even 30 seconds ago). Would this piece of mine be any better if it ended in the same key? I personally don't think so, but that's just my opinion...

jlh, I don't think it's officially anything. Those are just the keys the piece started and ended in. I have no idea where else I went when I improvised it in the "development" section, haha.

Thanks guys.  :)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
you both had your headphones hooked up?  i suppose it is rather hard to play with her sitting on your lap.  but, why did she have to listen through the headphones?  i'm sure she liked it.  was it for her?  or do you just tantalize people this way?

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Well, I have a Roland F-100 which is a digital piano (as I'm sure you could tell by the tone). I've found there's something wonderfully intimate and private about a digital piano. If you want, nobody else in the world can hear your music, just you....or just you and at least one other person =). Yes, I improvised it for her. She requested it. Amusingly, I didn't even feel like playing that day.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert