Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Moszkowski- barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman  (Read 3058 times)

Offline joeplaysthepiano

• PS Silver Member
Moszkowski- barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman
on: June 23, 2007, 07:08:37 PM
This is a hidden gem, so I thought everyone might like it.  Let me know what you think!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Moszkowski- barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 08:35:08 PM
Hi Joe,

That barcarolle was very pleasant to hear.  You did a very fine job playing it too!  It's very lyrical and evocative.  I had never before heard a piano version of it.  Thanks for posting a piece "off the beaten path".  It's always a joy to hear lesser known repertoire here.  Horowitz used to play "Etincelles" and a couple of other Moszkowski pieces, but generally it seems that Moszkowski's music is not performed as much as it ought to be.  I know that Tales of Hoffmann was originally composed for orchestra by Offenbach, so I looked up Moszkowski's piano transcription in Hinson's guide to transcriptions and paraphrases.  There I also discovered that Busoni wrote a transcription of the Barcarolle too, but only as a 2-page encore meant as a parting joke to close a recital. 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Moszkowski- barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:08:48 AM
seconded.  that was enjoyable to listen to.  i'd like to hear more forceful storytelling at the beginning - but when you get to the 'theme' it's really a great tempo you start with.  i'd make it get much faster instead of slower.  i don't know why.  i know bacarolle's are supposed to be kinda slow - but i like the effect of the main beats being slow and everything in between kinda fast.  like you are basically doing - but just with slight speeding here and there.  like you are doing at the end.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert