Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin 3rd Scherzo  (Read 5359 times)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Chopin 3rd Scherzo
on: July 06, 2007, 01:19:25 AM
Hi All.....

Yet another recording....I'm sort of just posting some of my graduate recital stuff since I haven't played this past year.  :)

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin 3rd Scherzo
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 01:54:21 AM
Pretty legendary!
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:38:13 PM
Overall, your control and finesse are excellent. I'd say it is a very thoughtful interpretation, and I enjoyed very much listening to it. My one complaint: I thought some of your octave passages could have been a bit more incisive. PS: The dramatic dynamic and tempo buildup from 4:54 until the start of the coda is absolutely spine chilling!   :)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:25:19 PM

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 09:28:03 PM
Overall, your control and finesse are excellent. I'd say it is a very thoughtful interpretation, and I enjoyed very much listening to it. My one complaint: I thought some of your octave passages could have been a bit more incisive. PS: The dramatic dynamic and tempo buildup from 4:54 until the start of the coda is absolutely spine chilling!   :)

Thanks Jake!! Glad you liked it.  Yeah, those octave passages.....I never felt quite comfortable with those.....always felt like I was fighting.  Oh well. 

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 09:35:33 PM
i can hear your progression as a pianist from then to now.  even though this is amazing- your pedalling is finessed now!  i'd like to hear it once again someday.  although, pieces like these really take hours of practice.  maybe the second times around they're easier.  wow. i love those 'snowy' treble passages.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 09:51:36 PM
Hi thalberg,

I really enjoyed listening to your performance of this scherzo.  You employ your fine technique very effectively to recreate art.  Great! 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:13:52 AM
Excellent. This is the first recording of yours that I've listened to, and I enjoyed it very much although I like my Chopin to have more of an edge, and sometimes it seems that you're afraid to take the plunge all the way into the music; you seem to be observing it from a distance at times, rather reserved.

Your phrasing and tone are beautiful and your technique and mechanique are well developed. You make this sound like it's easy for you, the mark of an expert instrumentalist. Kudos to you.  :)

The piano is a Bosendorfer, Hamburg Steinway or Schimmel, or perhaps a Shigeru Kawai?
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 06:22:00 PM
Excellent. This is the first recording of yours that I've listened to, and I enjoyed it very much although I like my Chopin to have more of an edge, and sometimes it seems that you're afraid to take the plunge all the way into the music; you seem to be observing it from a distance at times, rather reserved.

Your phrasing and tone are beautiful and your technique and mechanique are well developed. You make this sound like it's easy for you, the mark of an expert instrumentalist. Kudos to you.  :)

The piano is a Bosendorfer, Hamburg Steinway or Schimmel, or perhaps a Shigeru Kawai?

Thanks for the comments! To answer your question, it's a NY Steinway D in the concert hall at my school.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert