Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Schubert - Impromptus op.142 (D935)  (Read 22763 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert - Impromptus op.142 (D935)
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:31:01 PM
will you post the rest?
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 04:46:33 PM
For some reason I can't get another one attached, keep getting a timed-out error after a long wait.

In the meantime, about the sound quality: it was recorded w/a cheap microhpone originally for DVD. i just cnvereted it to audio with the following programs: BeLight and Audacity.  Thats why the quality is poor I guess.  I couldnt figure out how to use audacity to get out some of that noise.  It sounds better on the dvd itself.  Anytips?

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 04:55:34 PM
Thanks - Love that Schubert and I always enjoy your playing.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:09:33 PM
The third in B-flat major, Andante Theme & Variations!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:22:48 PM
Hmm - that eventually worked (20 minute wait).   Now the second?  In a-flat major, Allegretto...

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:26:09 PM
...I find your temperament sometimes bordering on the agressive and in certain places insensitive. In few places in these and the Beethoven that I heard, I also felt you were a bit harsh and unrefined with the sound. Probably due to the recording quality and/or piano?

...amazing masses of repertoire that you have worked on, though. Nice work!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:40:57 AM
Test

Whoa... somehow #4, Allegro scherzando, got thorugh.  i'll try again to upload #2! keeps giving error messages...

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:03:11 PM
#2 in A-flat major, Allegretto...

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 03:00:02 AM
Briilliant playing!  While on the whole the tempi were slightly fast for my taste, that is really a personal issue, and I find the mystery and dream-like qualities were emphasized even in your tempi, which I greatly appreciated.

Especially in the first Impromptu, where the tempo was probably closest to what I imagine to be true; a meditative sense was really captured and maintained in those flowing dialogue passages (where the left hand plays question-and-answer in the treble and bass against right hand's constant figuration). 

Those passages bring to mind for me a short story of Hesse, Flötentraum, where the main character is an innocent observer of life, who eventually ends up on a boat with a Cheron-like figure, and asks such ominous questions as, "Can I return to shore?"  and Cheron gives him only terrifying silence, or negatives.  While the Schubert is perhaps not so pessimistic, the Hesse story also has an element of Romanticism, and they meet somewhere in between.

I found the second Impromptu fast, but then again it is marked Allegretto, and too many people sentimentalize it and play it in sloppy, wishy-washy rhythm, which you decidedly do not do.  The trill in the trio section bringing back the major key sent chills up my spine!

The third definitely seems to fast for the character of the music, but thankfully you maintain the dream-like quality.  The minor variation seems to me the most faithfully played and closest to what I hear when I read this score; are you perhaps one of those people that excels at minor keys and zips through the major ones?

More on the fourth later.
A Hearty Congratulations!

Walter Ramsey

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 05:16:29 PM
...I find your temperament sometimes bordering on the agressive and in certain places insensitive. In few places in these and the Beethoven that I heard, I also felt you were a bit harsh and unrefined with the sound. Probably due to the recording quality and/or piano?

...amazing masses of repertoire that you have worked on, though. Nice work!

hmm... I dont hear it myself, but if you point out passages you feel are harsh i would be glad.  about the piano: it was a very unfortunate refcording experience.  I recorded all these pieces on one of the absolute best pianos in town, a piano that shura cherkassky had performed on many times, and which i can access because i know the guy that was the concert promoter.  only a couple weeks before i made the recording some movers dropped the damn piano and broke the lid.  (it was on its side and then fell onto the lid on a couple of stairs). thank god the piano was NOT BROKEN itself.  but it didn't stay in tune well, and i had to record in abig space without a piano lid, so it apparently (according to my engienrer) makes the sound a lot brighter.

if you think its harsh, i dont mean to use the piano as an excuse, but i'm just thinkin, dang! i record on the best piano in town and because tehres no lid and its out of tune everyone says to get a better piano... bad luck!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 05:18:15 PM
Briilliant playing!  While on the whole the tempi were slightly fast for my taste, that is really a personal issue, and I find the mystery and dream-like qualities were emphasized even in your tempi, which I greatly appreciated.

Especially in the first Impromptu, where the tempo was probably closest to what I imagine to be true; a meditative sense was really captured and maintained in those flowing dialogue passages (where the left hand plays question-and-answer in the treble and bass against right hand's constant figuration). 

Those passages bring to mind for me a short story of Hesse, Flötentraum, where the main character is an innocent observer of life, who eventually ends up on a boat with a Cheron-like figure, and asks such ominous questions as, "Can I return to shore?"  and Cheron gives him only terrifying silence, or negatives.  While the Schubert is perhaps not so pessimistic, the Hesse story also has an element of Romanticism, and they meet somewhere in between.

I found the second Impromptu fast, but then again it is marked Allegretto, and too many people sentimentalize it and play it in sloppy, wishy-washy rhythm, which you decidedly do not do.  The trill in the trio section bringing back the major key sent chills up my spine!

The third definitely seems to fast for the character of the music, but thankfully you maintain the dream-like quality.  The minor variation seems to me the most faithfully played and closest to what I hear when I read this score; are you perhaps one of those people that excels at minor keys and zips through the major ones?

More on the fourth later.
A Hearty Congratulations!

Walter Ramsey

whoa... thanks for the in-depth! cant wait to hear about 4

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 08:25:24 PM
That´s a remarkable recording. Unbeliveable quality on Schubert. I like everything about it. All the four impromptus are at a very high level. How long have you being working on these? It´s a pity the 4th impromptu got cut near the end. But excelent anyway. Congrats!

About the sound capture, if you have a decent capture board, you can capture only the sonud on premiere, set it at the highest quality possible. I did it before, the sound wasn´t so diferent than the previously recorded at a digital camera.

Offline remezetti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 12:24:54 AM
Just for the second Impromptu (No.2 Allegretto in A-flat Major) because I know it like the palm of my hand.

Start is a little rough I think, dynamic wise. It's pianissimo, but sounds like mezzo forte.
Try playing it as slow as when you started, probably not as slow but..well you can do it just a little slower than the actual recording tempo and pay attention to the crescendos and diminuendos as well as the phrasing where it starts and ends, I'm sure you can figure it out.
Middle part has got to be more flowing. Same as the first part of the Impromptu, play it slowly and this time pay attention not only to the dynamics but to the accents also. The climax of the middle part has too much pedal in it for my taste.
The ending though is unexpectedly beautiful. Very nice.

I was writing as I was listening to it so forgive me for the harshness. I wrote things on which to improve and I hope if you at least try and like the difference I helped here a little bit.

Regards.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 12:03:10 AM
Just for the second Impromptu (No.2 Allegretto in A-flat Major) because I know it like the palm of my hand.

Start is a little rough I think, dynamic wise. It's pianissimo, but sounds like mezzo forte.
Try playing it as slow as when you started, probably not as slow but..well you can do it just a little slower than the actual recording tempo and pay attention to the crescendos and diminuendos as well as the phrasing where it starts and ends, I'm sure you can figure it out.
Middle part has got to be more flowing. Same as the first part of the Impromptu, play it slowly and this time pay attention not only to the dynamics but to the accents also. The climax of the middle part has too much pedal in it for my taste.
The ending though is unexpectedly beautiful. Very nice.

I was writing as I was listening to it so forgive me for the harshness. I wrote things on which to improve and I hope if you at least try and like the difference I helped here a little bit.

Regards.

thanks for keepin it interesting :)

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 09:58:09 AM
only a couple weeks before i made the recording some movers dropped the damn piano and broke the lid.  (it was on its side and then fell onto the lid on a couple of stairs).

...good lord...that's terrible ><

hmm... I dont hear it myself, but if you point out passages you feel are harsh i would be glad.

...first of all, your sound is generally not harsh. I think that's something I found a tiny bit more in the Beethoven D major sonata. But in the 3rd impromptu, that D major chord of the theme after the repeat does hit me.

...my biggest gripe is with...well for example, 2:40 and 4:00 in the first impromptu I find rather insensitive to the harmonic changes that are happening. 1:46 in the third impromptu similar story. And I find the way you introduce the theme too...well...insensitive again ><

You have the temperament to play Beethoven and Schubert, but, for me, I personally don't always like the way you shape the melody - I like it to be sensitive to the harmony, direction etc. but anyway...quite an achievement you've accomplished recently, overall. Bravo!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 08:23:19 PM
...good lord...that's terrible ><

...first of all, your sound is generally not harsh. I think that's something I found a tiny bit more in the Beethoven D major sonata. But in the 3rd impromptu, that D major chord of the theme after the repeat does hit me.

...my biggest gripe is with...well for example, 2:40 and 4:00 in the first impromptu I find rather insensitive to the harmonic changes that are happening. 1:46 in the third impromptu similar story. And I find the way you introduce the theme too...well...insensitive again ><

You have the temperament to play Beethoven and Schubert, but, for me, I personally don't always like the way you shape the melody - I like it to be sensitive to the harmony, direction etc. but anyway...quite an achievement you've accomplished recently, overall. Bravo!

thanks for the details!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert